- advertisement -

Case Study: Experience in Insulin Pump Therapy During the Neonatal Period

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Monogenic Diabetes' started by Ellen, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

Thanks for this Ellen. Very interesting. In my (non-medical) opinion insulin pumps offer the best treatment for neonates with diabetes due to the tiny amounts of insulin that can be delivered. Injections just don't cut it for these tiny babies so, unless the baby stays hooked up to an IV in hospital, a pump is the way to go.

Interesting to read that this was presented at a conference in 2007. In the years since smaller and smaller babies have been treated with pumps.

3. redcurls3

redcurls3 Approved members

Thanks for posting this Ellen. I continue to be amazed at the variety of genes that cause Neonatal Diabetes. It seems that every week or month I meet a new parent of a Neonatal child but they have a different gene or mutation of the gene my son has. I hope they continue to find more genes and new treatments. I wish my son could have gone on a pump earlier than he did. The lows he had were way too frequent, but luckily he is doing better now, except for his severe developmental delays. Hopefully we can find a cure soon for our little ones.