- advertisement -

Carry on or checked

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Dvbo79, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Dvbo79

Dvbo79 Approved members

Do you carry on your back up D supplies while flying or check them in a checked bag?

We've flown several times since diagnosis but I have a terrible mental block and can't remember what we did the times before. :confused:

Thanks!

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I almost always carry on. Mainly because I very rarely check bags. If traveling internationally I typically have a carry on suitcase and a tote bag and I pack a set of at least 2 weeks of supplies in each bag. If I am going to a remote area I typically add another set of supplies to the bag of someone I am traveling with. Insulin always goes in a carry on with back up insulin in the form of pens in each bag with everything. I never check insulin or sensors due to concerns about exposure to extreme temperatures.

That said, when traveling within the US and even most countries in Europe I never do any of this and just stick everything in a carry on duffle bag and toss an extra vial of insulin and a few infusion sets, strips, and syringes into my purse.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's a little different now that she's older and does most of her D stuff but when she was younger I always packed two kits: one in carry on (with the insulin) and a back-up in a checked bag. I rarely needed the back-up kit but it was good to know it was there. Each kit contained 1.5-2X what we'd normally use in that timeframe.