- advertisement -

Carnival cruise problem

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Illinifan, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

With all the talk about Disney and Sea World and other fun things, I don't think I've ever seen this addressed. Below is a copy of post from a Cruise forum that I just posted. I figured I'd see if there were any experienced cruisers with advice, but I also thought there might be T1D parents with advice too. Fire away. It's a Carnival cruise and we leave on Monday, March 29th.

My wife, son and I are part of a group going from our son's high school. We had one of the other moms booked our cruise through a travel agent. (Referred to as The Booking Mom from here on out) Apparently, The Booking Mom booked our airline tickets separately.

When we finally were given the information about our cruise, a little over a week ago , we realized that our son was in a room an entire deck away after we speficially had asked to have adjoining rooms because he is a Type 1 diabetic and we check his blood sugar 3 times a night. We asked The Booking Mom to call the TA and get the room changed. She said it took 5 phone calls, but she finally got the room changed so it's closer...12 rooms away.

My wife tried to call The Booking Mom back, but she's out of town for a funeral. She called the TA and got no help. So, she called Carnival, explained the situation and got treated like crap. "You are part of a group" was what she was told.

So, do any of you experienced cruisers have any advice? Any suggestions on how to elevate the issue up through the CCL chain of command? We really feel strongly that we need an adjoining room.

Carnival told my wife that there would be a 50% penalty if we bailed out now.

Advice would be appreciated.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Call the TA and put up a stink (politely) explain this is totally unacceptable and you refuse to accept anything but being ajoining. If she says it can't be done, ask to talk to the owner of the TA. If they can't help, tell them you'll call the media and file a complaint with Better Business and Atty Generals office. Yes you are part of a room block with cabins that are pre-assigned, but this is a big screw up and they must accomodate you. If not, tell them you'll be more than happy to receive a complimentary upgrade.

I am a former travel agent, and things can be changed.

3. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Are others in your group booked in room adjoining either you or your son? Could you just make the switch within your group?

4. Illinifan

There may be an issue with room size although we are all paying the same amount of money. My wife and I are in one room and my son is in a room with 3 other people.

Great minds think alike. The people on the cruising forum gave me the same advice I got here. :)

5. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I would also make it clear that this is a seious medical issue, and it is not a matter of convenience but of his health and safety. He has a major medical condition that is protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Tell them that you'd hate to have to make it public that the travel agent or the cruise line is "discriminating" against a child with a recognized disability.

6. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I hate to say it but you may be out of luck.

Carnival is not going to move people out of a room that they specifically picked when booking. Actually it is probably 2 set of people in 2 rooms they would have to move to accomodate the number of people in each room that you need.

One week time is not enough notice to start moving people around who booked on a guarantee either. They already have their room assignments and luggage tags.I think you are lucky to have gotten a room that was only 12 cabins away at this point in time too. Good Luck, I hope it can be worked out before you go.:cwds:

Are his 3 friends that he is rooming with aware that you plan on coming into their room 3 times during the night to check your son?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  7. selketine

selketine Approved members

Is there an adult in the room with your son? I'm just curious what Carnival's policy is on putting 3 kids in a room with no adult - if that is what they did. On some cruise lines they won't let you do that.

If you told the booking mom in advance that you needed connecting rooms - I wonder if they at all made it clear to you that they may not be able to accommodate this request?

Twelve rooms away isn't terrible on a ship - it isn't far. Of course you will be out stumbling around in the hallway in your pj's......;)

8. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

In any of your paperwork does it state that you paid for two connecting rooms? Will their room connecto to any of the other parents?

9. Illinifan

To answer all the questions:

The Booking Mom told us that Carnival would show me booked into the room with the 3 other boys in one room and that my wife and son would be booked in another room, but that the TA told her we could just switch rooms after the Safety drill. Apparently, this is the 3rd biggest issue on cruise ships right after 1) deck chair hogs and 2) how to smuggle alcohol on the ship.

Yeah, 12 rooms isn't that far, but at this point, it's the principle of the thing.

Paperwork? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA. Other than logging on and getting our luggage tags, we haven't seen ANY paperwork at all. My wife checked with the TA yesterday and we could book this cruise today and pay $150-$200 less per person that what we paid to the school group. No receipt either. Another battle for another day.

And get ready to turn your flamethrowers on...I really don't care if the 3 other boys have to roll over and go back to sleep. Their parents opt'ed not to go. We decided to go on this trip as a second honeymoon in addition to being there for Zach. Turns out, we're gonna be on chaperone duty 24/7 because we used The Booking Mom. Other parents who are experienced cruisers booked their own flights and passage on the ship and have no chaperone duties at all. We've had exactly 1 meeting about this and it's been in the works for 9 months now.

I'm like Sec Rumsfeld now. I know the Knowns and I know the Unknowns, but what scares the hell out of me are the Unknown Unknowns. :cool:

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

May the Force be with you:cool:

11. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Hope everything works out fine and you have a great time!

12. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

Power to you!!!!;)

You are great parents who will do anything for your son to experience what every child should.

It will work out and you will have a great time. Fear of the unknown is the worst.

We sail on the Glory in July. We booked Early Saver so we are able to take advantage of price drops until 3 days before the ship sails. It is my understanding the group bookings do not have that option.

Have a great cruise and let us know how it went.

Smooth Sailing:)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  13. selketine

selketine Approved members

Well...

I don't know why the TA cannot get the lower price - usually when the price drops the TA can pass that along to you. Is TA pocketing the money? I would go to the TA again - and the TA's supervisor - and maybe go see them in person if that is possible.

That "switcharoo" with the adults/kids is common when people have older kids. That only comes back to haunt you if the kids are misbehaving so hopefully you know the roommates and have that under control.

Of course the problem is the connecting room. If you indicated on your paperwork that you could not go if the rooms were not connected then maybe you have a way to get out of this. Otherwise - all you can do is be the squeaky wheel. Technically your son is in the room with his mom so to Carnival there is no emergency for a connecting room.

Did you purchase travel insurance? You should check to see your your son's pre-existing medical condition would be covered - it is tricky to get pre-existing medical conditions covered unless the insurance is purchased with a week or so of booking the trip and your insurance covers the full cost of the trip, etc. Medical evac can cost $50,000+ There might still be time to get it if you haven't - you could PM me for more info. If you did, try to find out if it is covered.

Good luck with this - sounds like a mess! I hate using TA's and letting anyone else plan my trip.