- advertisement -

Care pkg. for newly dx'd

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Michelle (IL), Oct 27, 2009.

1. Michelle (IL)

Michelle (IL) Approved members

As some of you may know from a previous post, I have a friend that has a 15 month old son who was recently dx'd (they're still in the hospital). Anyway I was wanting to put together a little care pkg. The hospital they are in does not have a Pediactric Endo and it seems as they are not given the same stuff we got at dx. (Although it seems like they are getting excellent care). Anyway, I am trying to think of few things that will come in useful, Calorie King book, some small 15 carb juice boxes (with Elmo on them-Kendrick's fav), but I am having trouble coming up with other things. Some of you with yound d kids, I thought might be able to help me out :cwds:. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

2. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

Crystal light singles, new sippy cups, glucose gel, freestyle lite meter, a toy for Kendrick, glucose tabs, a packet of information that you know will help with website addresses, something nice for the parents, cookbooks.... Does he have Rufus the bear? A pack big enough for his supplies.

--Sara

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Maybe the Pink Panther book, short version?
    A teddy bear?
    Index cards in a box, so that the mom can write down the usual foods and their carbs + bolus values and have that handy?
    Maybe put all of that in a pretty bag (with handy organizing sections) and give that as a gift?

4. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

A small travel scale or information on scales
    Examples of free snacks
    Cake mate frosting for severe lows
    Crystal Lite
    a toy or games for the little boy
    Rufus bear
    and probably more things that I cannot think of right now

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

maybe you could offer your time more than stuff: to do that first grocery shopping with mom. (remember how bad that was??) Maybe offer to help cook the first casserole and show how to figure out carbs. Or offer to baby sit for the baby so mom and dad can go out to eat/go shopping/take a nap?

6. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

What wonderful and thoughtful responses and comments! The Mom will be soooo appreciative, I am sure! So sorry about the recent dx of little Kendrick :(.

7. Michelle (IL)

Thanks everyone for your kind and thoughtful suggestions. I've got some real good ideas now..thanks to you all. I was kind of drawing a blank. Have I mentioned how much I love CWD and all the great people who make up our "little" communiuty? :)

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

you know, it sucks to be here, but here is better than not here. :cwds:

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

So, so true!

10. seeingspots

seeingspots Approved members

Things we got/needed for Alden when dx'd at 10mo.:

-Sippy cups (like Sara suggested) with ounce lines/measurements on outside
    -Calorie King
    -Smarties (for lows- 0.40 e/piece or 6g roll)
    -Writing Icing tubes (lows)
    -Scale
    -Extra Measuring Cups (I only had 1 set for baking, but now need to use
    them for several meals a day and are often in dishwasher)... also, with
    a little one, make sure the cups have a 1/8 measurement-- many sets just
    come with 1/4 cups.
    -Extra Measuring Spoons
    -Pink Panther Book
    -A Medical ID "diabetes" bracelet (Alden still wears the one we got for free,
    we just took some links out to make it fit, and as he grows add them back)
    -A grease board/marker (to put on fridge with all of the common foods/grams)
    -A 2010 calendar-- for all of the upcoming Endo appointments/training classes
    -Baby Monitors (our set was actually for our new baby, and we didn't
    therefore have another set to put in Alden's room to listen to him for a
    seizure/CGM)
    -Stuffed Animals (we got one for Alden and one for his brother-- because his
    brother was suffering too with lack of attention)
    -A list of good supportive websites like the CWD
    -Some smaller diapers/larger clothes(we had Alden in larger diapers due to him
    flooding them pre-dx... we didn't know it was a D sign; but after dx he then
    could go back to wearing appropriate sized diapers. As for clothes, he had
    a MAJOR growth spurt once he started getting insulin.)
    -Post-Its/Pens (for quick notes about d related items)
    -Notebook
    -Disposable camera for pictures of their son (I look back now at the ones we
    took of Alden in the hospital and am so greatful that we got him there when
    we did. A sad entry in his scrapbook, but one of the most life-changing so
    far.)
    -New Alarm clock (we had one on my DH's side of the bed, but got another for
    on mine... so he can have his set for work in the AM, and I set mine for the
    night-checks for Alden; when we tried just using his, either I slept through
    them and he hit "snooze", or he'd then be so tired he'd forget to re-set it
    for work).
    -A gift certificate for Wal-Mart for any other items they may need

11. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

Or get an alarm clock that can be set for multiple times.

--Sara

12. seeingspots

Oh yeah, and three more things:
    -A small flashlight/batteries for night checks (we had a large, very bright
    one which was too disturbing for blood checks)
    -Bag of cotton balls (for both blotting of blood pokes and for putting in the
    diapers (ketone checks) if they don't have a blood ketone meter).

- Can't believe I forgot this: A CALCULATOR!!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  13. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

food scale, I remember using measuring cups at diagnosis, omg what a nightmare. Tony has two rufus bears, one from the hospital and a friend sent another one at the same time. Baby is sleeping in my room so I can't remember the name of the alarm clock I have, but it has two settings and is awesome-I think it's from walmart-my dad bought it. and send a link to this website of course ;)

14. shekov

shekov Approved members

All of the suggestions are great but these are my favorites. I would have loved to have had someone hold my hand on that first grocery shopping trip!

15. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

You can get them a Care package for JDRF as well.
    Maybe the biggest gift, would be offering support and babysitting! :D

16. seeingspots

We use a scale now too, but in all of our hospital's nutrition classes they taught measuring cups, so at first we were so overloaded with everything else that we stuck with cups. We then bought a cheapie scale at Wal-Mart but found it was not very accurate. Had to order a pricey one online... probably too expensive for a gift basket though.

I agree with you though... measuring cups can be a total nightmare-- what I consider a cup would be totally different from my DH who would squeeze and pack them as full as can be.

17. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Jar of black olives
    Jar of pickles
    Cheese sticks
    nuts
    mini packages of teddy grahams
    stickers (Yo got one for every check and injection)

18. Michelle (IL)

Thanks for all the great suggestions. One more favor ~ do any of you recall a poem about god choosing us for our kids mothers? I was thinking of it but can't find it anywhere and I know I saw it on here once upon a time. I love that poem.

19. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Thought there was one that said Diabetes, but I think this is the one you are talking about.
    http://www.oafccd.com/lanark/poems/god.htm

[SIZE=+3]God Chooses Mom for Disabled Child
    [/SIZE]Written by Erma Bombeck Published in the Today Newspaper Sept. 4th, 1993

Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social pressures, and a couple by habit. This year, nearly 100,000 women will become mothers of handicapped children. Did you ever wonder how mothers of handicapped children are chosen? Somehow I visualize God hovering over Earth selecting his instruments forpropagation with great care and deliberation. As he observes, he instructs his angels to make notes in a giant ledger. "Armstrong, Beth; son; patron saint, Matthew. "Forrest, Marjorie; daughter; patron saint, Cecelia. "Rudledge, Carrie; twins; patron saint.... give her Gerard. He's used to profanity. " Finally, he passes a name to an angel and smiles, "Give her a handicapped child." The angel is curious. "Why this one, God? She's so happy." "Exactly," smiles God. "Could I give a handicapped child a mother who does not know laughter? That would be cruel." "But has she patience?" asks the angel. "I don't want her to have too much patience or she will drown in a sea of self-pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment wears off, she'll handle it." "I watched her today. She has that feeling of self and independence. She'll have to teach the child to live in her world and that's not going to be easy." "But, Lord, I don't think she even believes in you." God smiles. "No matter. I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has just enough selfishness." The angel gasps, "Selfishness? Is that a virtue?" God nods. "If she can't separate herself from the child occasionally, she'll never survive. Yes, there is a woman I will bless with a child less then perfect. She doesn't realize it yet, but she is to be envied. She will never take for granted a spoken word. She will never consider a step ordinary. When her child says "Momma" for the first time, she will be present at a miracle and know it! When she describes a tree or a sunset to her blind child, she will see it as few people ever see my creations." "I will permit her to see clearly the things I see---ignorance, cruelty, prejudice--- and allow her to rise above them. She will never be alone. I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life because she is doing my work as surely as she is here by my side." "And what about her patron saint?" asks the angel, his pen poised in midair. God smiles. "A mirror will suffice."

20. seeingspots

Not one about mothers, but pertains to a diabetic child:

A FRIEND LIKE ME - unknown

Please don't be afraid of me
    I want to be your friend.
    And if you get to know me
    Your rigid thoughts might bend

Thoughts that I am different
    From others that you know,
    I really am no different
    And this I'd like to show