- advertisement -

Carbs in cooked white rice

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by brokenheart, Sep 19, 2010.

1. brokenheart

brokenheart Approved members

My son ate 140g of cooked white rice yesterday for lunch. I wasn't sure about the carb count for cooked rice, so I estimated about 60g of carbs and bolused accordingly. In the afternoon he was low.

According to wikipedia, uncooked white rice has 79% of carbs:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice

And only about 18% carbs in cooked white rice.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rice-white-medium-grain-cooked-i20051

So, if 18% is correct, an estimate of 60g of carbs was obviously too much for 140g of cooked white rice.

What carb percentage do you guys (if at all anyone out there eats white rice) use?

2. angiej

angiej Approved members

We calculate at 25%, but we use a combination bolus, 60% immediately, the rest over 2 hours.

We did a survey about rice on the UK mailing list, and the majority of us use a combination bolus of some sort.

3. carcha

carcha Approved members

We eat white rice pretty often, but I just go by what the package says, which is usually around 40 carbs per cup. We never eat more than a cup, but we never have a problem with lows or highs using the info on the box.

4. KHM

KHM Approved members

This is the number we use as well: 40g/cup---we find it easier to get the measurement nailed down when we use volume rather than weight---because we mostly serve rice mixed with something so weighing is complicated.

5. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

The 40 carbs per cooked cup is what we use as well..

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

going by Panda express nutition info.

8oz weight = 81 g carbs

So 140g w would have been 50/51 g carbs

carb factor .36

hope that helps, she does not eat the rice

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We do the 25% ratio. Its pretty close. Just straight up - we don't mess with combo boluses much

8. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Cooked white rice is 33grams of carb per 100g for us. We eat it quite often and even though it is quite high gi, if we have it with curry or chilli beans, which both have quite fatty sauces and a lot of meat, it works out without much of a spike at all. We count the carb in the sauces as well - and nearly always, for our dd's size portion, it is around 10 grams of carb per serving.

If it is in rissoto with lots of veges and quite "wet" we usually use it around 20 grams per hundred.

9. brokenheart

brokenheart Approved members

Thanks a lot for sharing your numbers. I personally prefer weighing using a scale instead of measuring using a cup, because I think cooked rice is highly compressible, thus I think we are gonna get a pretty bad deviation between any two cups of cooked rice.

10. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

We usually do 30g per 3.25 oz of cooked white rice (i think that was from the calorie king) Or if i dont have a scale i usually guesstimate about 30 g for a cup of rice.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

White rice. :mad: We can never get it right. I usually use a carb factor of .28, but I can't get the timing right. It's a real problem food for us. And at least once a week we have salmon, rice and salad for dinner ... so it's a real pita.

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we use 40carbs per 1c of white rice.

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

1/3 cup is 15 grams...:) So for us it's 45grams per cup. Works for us :)

14. Sportsrep

Sportsrep Approved members

Yeah, white rice has proved to be problematic for our family too. For me (T1, 19 years), it?s virtually a ?free? food whereas my daughter (T1, 6 years) will spike from it.

We use very similar ratios to Sarah for DD, a carb factor of .27 but for myself I only take about half that. Definitely a YMMV food :)

15. Pepper1

Pepper1 Approved members

Hi

Big hi to Carcha, as my daughter is celiac also, tough work at times, with the diet, limited variety of food etc, we also have rice often and work on a cup of boiled rice being approx. 40 as per package. Although daughter did wake up on a low this morning, however we have just gone onto lantus last week, on pens, so next time I would give her more than that.

Pepper1
    Mum to Laura 14, dx on 4 March 2010
    Celiac dx June 2008

Mum to Adam, 12 years old

Sheep farmers wife in NZ.

16. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

agreed. At home I weigh it dry and portion out just what we'll all eat. Then I cook it, weigh it again wet and equally divide.

I have no luck at all with white rice, but this trick works beautifully with wild rice.

17. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I use the brown rice setting on the Salter Scale, because for some reason the white rice setting is way too high. I read here a while back that others had realized the same thing as well. I use only converted white rice, because it is much lower glycemic than regular rice. I use a 3 hour extended bolus for it, and no spike at all.

18. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

The glycemic index of white rice depends on which variety you're using. Most white rice has high GI, some have rather low GI. So to bolus for it properly you first need to know which variety you're having. For the short-grain, Japanese variety we eat daily, it's medium GI (or high-end of low), and we use 30g carbs per half cup and never had a problem with it. Not packed half-up though. The salter scale always counts it higher. DD usually eats a cup of rice for dinner, and we have to bolus after, otherwise she'll go low. Now if it were Jasmine rice (Thai), I'd make sure to bolus 15 minutes before eating.

19. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I also use 0.33 as the carb factor.

20. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

we have much better luck with brown rice, we have spikes with white rice