- advertisement -

Carbs in Butterbeer?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by virgo39, Jul 29, 2012.

1. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We're going to Orlando for a brief vacation. DH has been traveling there for business and has a meeting there the day before DD's 8th birthday.

We'll be at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I haven't found any "official" nutrition information, but did see the following:

14 oz. Butterbeer - 42g

(The same article says that the pumpkin juice has a nutrition label: 8 oz. - 24 g).

I've also read that the Butterbeer is pretty sweet, making it less likely that DD will drink much of it (I think the thing I like the least about D is "examining the remains", melted slushies, picked over pasta salads, etc.).

Any experience with it?

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana had butter beer when we were at Universal a couple of years ago. I winged it and bloused like if she were drinking soda and added a bit more insulin just in case I underestimated it. i tasted it and it tasted like Cream Soda to me so maybe go by the carbs for that?

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

The frozen butterbeer is what we like. We were just there after the FFL conference and had it again. I think I went with around 50 carbs. They put some sort of vanilla cream on the top - it seems sort of like an icee in terms of carbs was my guess.

We had good luck there with getting accommodations for diabetes. They have lockers there for the rides - not sure how old your child is that is riding - they won't let you bring bags on some rides. PM me if you want more info on it.

4. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I agree with previous poster...bolus for cream soda and add a few more to compensate for the added ingredients to make is sweeter. I think butterscotch syrup is added.

5. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

And by the way I am so jealous! Went there in 2011! It was awesome! The main ride was so much fun!

6. steph

steph Approved members

lol, i have no useful advice for you but just wanted to say that it sounds really delicious and now i wish i could try it :D

7. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

8. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

We were just at Universal July 4 - 7, they do have lockers for some of the rides... be prepared to get wet on the water rides! but it will be a nice relief as it is sooooo hot! I will PM you.

Kathy

9. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Just so you are aware you can also let them know it is a medical if you want quick access to it when the ride ends without walking and weaving through people. If the ride does not have handicap lockers the person running the ride will hold it. We do this with something for a low, glucagon, and meter. Particularly, in case something goes wrong on the ride the operator is aware there could be a medical need on board and so should the ride send her low we can treat immediately on the side. After all, with diabetes you just do not know.

10. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Thanks for all the info. I just ordered myself a photographer's vest with lots of pockets -- I thought DH had one, but can't seem to find it. I think that will be handy as I'd just as soon not carry any bags myself.

I'm certain that I am looking forward to this trip at least as much as DD, including Butterbeer.:)

11. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I know this wasn't part of the original question, but for those with Celiac it's important to note that Butterbeer at Universal is NOT gluten-free.

The foam contains gluten, though the soda part does not. And they are not allowed to serve it without the foam (for contractural reasons, apparently.)

12. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Just thought I'd provide a Butterbeer update!

The Butterbeer -- frozen and regular -- and the Pumpkin Juice was delicious, but the portions a bit to large for us. DD drank less than 1/4 of her frozen Butterbeer. We did use the carb count that I posted above, but bolused her only 10 g at a time, which worked out well.

She loves the idea of slushies, etc. but seldom drinks much -- generally making that decision after its melted and I have no idea how much she actually had. It was brutally hot and we were walking a lot, so the ballpark estimate worked well enough.

Oh, we also discovered that the Pirates of the Caribbean ride lowers DD's BG. (Does that mean we can claim the trip and Disney tickets as a medical expense?;))