- advertisement -

carb scales...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KHS22, Nov 10, 2013.

1. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Second question, does anyone use a scale for counting carbs? I've seen the ones that have a food database, and you just punch in what your eating, and it calculates how many carbs. Yay or not worth it? If you like it, which one?

Thanks!

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

We just use a regular food scale. It is really the best way for accuracy, especially in the beginning. I know people who have the food scales with the built in data base love it, we just never got one.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Definitely worth every cent. I have a teen; her carb ratios are 1:8 & 1:9. She doesn't like to be away from it for more than a meal because it helps so much with accurate carb counting and thus accurate dosing.

We discovered one by accident about 6 weeks post-diagnosis. No more stuffing things into measuring cups that don't fit into the cup, attempting to decide what the circumference of an apple is, etc.....definitely wouldn't want to go without the scale.

That said, after you weigh things over and over and over, you'll get better at it. My daughter is amazing at the way she can tell an apple's carbs. (We've also discovered all apples in a given bag tend to be within 1 g of each other.;))

We use the Perfect Portions scale.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We use a scale, but it doesn't have any kind of a data base. I just do the math. It's so helpful for many things, but I really like it for fruit, cereal, chips/crackers, and ice cream.

5. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Thanks guys. I have a regular scale kitchen scale, so maybe i'll just start with that.

Momofsweetone, which scale do you have??

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Perfect Portions. It's available at Amazon, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target...

We just type in the code for whichever food and it fills in the nutrition label. We subtract fiber when counting carbs, so it's really nice to have that info right there as well. In between foods, you can zero out the weight of the plate and already weighed food, type in the next code and weigh the next item. It really is about as easy as diabetes can get.

7. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

We use the Salter 1450, but it looks like the only place to find one now is on Ebay. I like that it gives you net carbs, so subtracts the fiber for you. I also like that it stores the most frequent 20 foods, and you can just scroll to get them. I think it has been discussed that they stopped making them, but I wonder if they will replace with the 10 year warranty?

8. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

Eat Smart

We are new to all this (9/18/13) but I bought an Eat Smart scale (Amazon, $70) and really like it. (Was using postage scale :) )

Why I like it:
    I am teaching son, age 11, to use nutritional panel to enter serving size, carbs per serving, and then as you weigh, it gives you total carbs. You can, of course, do this on a calculator, but much easier for an 11 year old to manage on his own. (His math skills are, however, expanding exponentially since diagnosis.) So, for example, he has room for one or two extra carbs, you can keep adding that food to the scale until it reads what you want.

Some foods, like apples, 002, you memorize like the checkout cashier. Apples can vary in size, and yes, you get good at guessing. You do have to look up foods not memorized in the booklet. I plan to make a condensed list of the foods we eat more often.

Has a back light for easier reading.

Can't really think of any cons right now, other than the cost. I've not fully used it's potential yet - it will keep carb count in memory and I don't do that yet.

I look at it like this: we will be doing this for years. I should have tools that make management easier and teaches him self-management. Think of how many tools we have in our garage or for sewing or whatever that we only use here and there, even though they cost $. A scale for a diabetic will be used every four hours. It should be one you really like and is very useful.

HTH,
    Cathy
    William, T1D, dx 9/18/13

9. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

This one?
    http://www.amazon.ca/Salter-Nutri-W...ie=UTF8&qid=1384288414&sr=1-95&keywords=scale

10. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Yes, that is it. Price sure is high! I may end up buying an extra one on Ebay for when my daughter moves out.