- advertisement -

Carb loading prior to sports???

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by JNL, May 23, 2012.

1. JNL

JNL Approved members

My son was diagnosed last year with type 1, he has been pretty active and has been on the minimed pump and sensor the whole time, I would say to anyone who is considering using the pump or sensors, to please do,, He loves them , well right now he does,, . Anyway, schools out and the camps are starting in a few weeks Basketball in 2 weeks and football in a month. So I would like to know if anyone has found a great source of carb,, say 40 or 50 that he can take to offset the physical activity that will burn carbs up and lower his BS. And no he cannot eat a half a cake or pizza LOL, although he would probably be ok with it. We just went to GNC and found some energy bars with high protein and have 50 carbs. So the quest is High carbs, less filling and is good for you . Oh ya,, if it tastes good,, HUGE bonus. Ok people lets put on our thinking caps,

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son drinks a 24 oz gatorade. Sometime before the practice, but he definitely finishes it by the end.

3. JNL

JNL Approved members

Sounds good,, we have been thinking to have a gatorade on hand and to drink some before hand as well. Thanks for the reply

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I drink Lucozade for physical activity - it's incredibly high carb and quite nice tasting as well. But if you're located in the US, I'm not sure that it's available.

Or sometimes I just eat candy, and that totally works as well, lol.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We like to use Extend bars, they contain cornstarch which causes slower digestion and levels out his sugars vs causing a spike. They are nowhere near that high carb but because they stick with you a while it helps.

He tends to sip on gateraide for football, that way he can gauge how much he needs. For football whenever they do hitting days he ALWAYS goes high, so he needs not to eat those days.

For things like camp I'd be inclined to doing a temp lower basal vs feeding the basal. If you know he's going to need those 40-50 carbs during that time I would instead consider lowering his basal during that time and maybe an hour ahead of time. My son hates to eat right before sports though, so that factors in as well.

How old is your son?

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

PBJ with lots of jelly (28 grams of carb bread, 18 grams jelly, 4 peanut butter).

7. JNL

JNL Approved members

Some very good suggestions , Thanks all. My son is 14 right now, and is on the pump. We will be disconnecting the pump for the practices and games, it sounds like it may be good to leave it off or suspend basel for a time after. My fear is eating to much and getting an upset stomach because of the physical activity.