- advertisement -

carb factor for homemade bread

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mouchakkaa, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

I used the carb factor of .48 for a thick slice of homemade bread (just got a bread machine, love it), but it just did not seem right. The bread weighed, I think, something like 184 g. So that would have been carbs of 88. This seemed way too high so I only bolused for 44. She was fine for the first three hours, but then bg's went into the low 200's. I did give her a correction but three hours later she was still sitting in the low 200's. I ended up giving another correction and this finally brought her down. I have never done an extended bolus for bread before. Do you think I should had done the full 88 and extended it over 6 hours?

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I make homemade bread too. I just weight it in grams and half that weight is what I count in carbs. Seems to work for us. But, I grind my wheat(from bread beckers) so that makes it contain lots of fiber.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I use a standard factor of .50 (which amounts to half, as the pp said) and it works well. I used to make a CF for every type of bread I make but they all came to be around .50 so now I just use that!

If you notice a high a few hours later I'd definitely extend the bolus the full amount. I can definitely see a thick slice of homemade bread at 80 carbs, homemade bread generally doesn't have the rise of regular bread so it a lot more dense (and yummy!).

4. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

we always use .5 too

5. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

Like Nancy I worked a carb factor for many kinds of homemade bread and always came out close to .5 as well. We estimate other bread type foods based off the .5 carb factor too. So homemade garlic bread I would round down to .4-.45 to account for butter weight or a sweet dough with glaze I would round up to .55-.6.

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

0.45 - 0.50 as well here if it's a standard flour/yeast/water/oil bread.

7. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I often make home made bread (whole wheat). I use carb factor of 0.5. I always dose for the full amount. It will seem like a lot, but remember you usually slice it thicker, and especially with bread machine loaves, one slice is quite a bit bigger than store bought bread.

As for extending the bolus...I have never needed to do so, but that's something you can experiment with.

Don't give up on your homemade bread! IT's too yummy to give up on just yet. :) lol ;) Good luck.

8. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

Thanks everyone. Next time I will bolus for the full amount. It just seemed like a lot of carbs, but it was a thick piece of bread. I just wanted to make sure I was correct with the carb factor.

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

184g of bread is over 6 ounces of bread. That's not a thick slice that's a good portion of a loaf - a third of a normal store bought sliced loaf of bread.

EDIT: It depends on the density ... if it didn't raise very well then a regular slice could easily have the carbs of 2 slices.

10. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

off topic, sorry

I do 20 carbs per slice, home made or artisan, with my bread maker, I only use the dough setting, then split the dough into 2 loaves and let them rise a couple hours, then bake in the oven!

I also make rolls from the dough. For cheese bread, add shredded cheese.