1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

canula site and insertions painful

Discussion in 'UK' started by Kathyfromlewes, May 20, 2013.

1. Kathyfromlewes

Kathyfromlewes New Member

May 20, 2013
    Hi Everyone - have not posted for a long, long time. Ollie is on D-link canulas. He is finding that the canulas are sore to insert - we are going to invest in a buzzy bee to help with this. He did try flexi-links but hated the Roche accu chek inserter - not very child friendly. It looks like it could be tricky to get hold of an animas one as currently only have funding for Roche - I am going to keep asking though!
    Ollie has not got much fatty tissue and reacts quite easily - even has some atrophied tissue from injections and possibly canulas. Just wondered if anyone has any ideas/advice.....I did try to post earlier but not sure it got through. Kathy;)
  2. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Sep 25, 2008
    Are you able to get a Medtronic pump on the NHS? The Mio's are very easy to insert and once on, stay on (and delivering). I am sorry the inserts you are using are sore but I haven't seen the accuchek ones so can't help - except to say we will never use angled sets - they really do hurt our dd. (other people prefer them but - not us). Hope you find a solution.
  3. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

Dec 22, 2008
    For those who are unfamiliar with Roche sets, d-link is their steel needle set, flex link is the 90 degree teflon set and tenders are the angled teflon set.

If you need to stay with Roche sets, you could try using ice before insertion. Either press an ice cube or the back of a frozen spoon against his skin before inserting for maybe about a minute, it will numb the skin. Just make sure to dry his skin with a towel between the ice and the set so the adhesive sticks. I use steel sets because my body is really good at twisting and folding the teflon ones, but I also think they are comfortable to insert and wear unless they get banged.

As for your other options, if you haven't tried the tender yet, I'd give them a try. They are a little more intimidating because they are longer, but because they go in at an angle don't go very deep and can be more comfortable for some people, especially skinny ones. I've never used an inserter for these and thought they were pretty easy to put in, they are very forgiving on the angle you insert. You can also use the flex link without the inserter, I've never seen the inserter for these, only did them by hand. They go in very similar to the rapid-d, only you pull the needle out afterwards. It's better to go fairly quick with these, but it's better to do the rapid-ds quick too so they hurt less.