- advertisement -

Can't get a Dexcom Sesnor to last more than 36 hours

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by WillowBean, Jul 9, 2019.

1. WillowBean

WillowBean Approved members

My 16 year old son has very poor self care habits and his A1C is 14! To help bring his A1C down we got Dexcom 6. We have had the system for 6 weeks and we get sensor failures every other day. I have spoken to Dexcom customer service and the local rep and everyone I talk to tells me a different reason for the failure: dehydrated, too skinny, blood sugars too high, too large of a swing in blood sugars, pressing to hard at insertion, etc. When I ask the endo he says to contact Dexcom and Dexcom says to contact the Dr. We have tried to address all the possible issues mentioned but his blood sugars are high and I can't get him in range long enough to see if Dexcom works in range for more than 48 hours. Do you have any suggestions to could help us get a Dexcom sensor to last more than a day or two?

2. don04

don04 Approved members

This is a tricky topic. Sensor failures are a continuing problem for Dexcom, I suppose it is nice that they replace when you call, but it is still not fun. My failures seem to go in waves.. I will have a bunch of failed, then several weeks of running A-OK. Where does he wear his sensors (IE stomach, arm etc). I assume he is a pretty skinny kid, you need to find somewhere with some padding to put it, side of stomach, hips, etc. Do you use an overpatch to make sure nothing is shifting/lifting? Dexcom will send some, and they help a lot when I am outside sweating/swimming.