- advertisement -

Can't figure out new/unusual exercise

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by sgh, Jan 7, 2013.

1. sgh

sgh Approved members

Any time we do a new form of exercise, it's a disaster. In the past few weeks we've tried downhill skiing, cross country skiing, ice skating, for example. Not things we do throughout the year. (the same will apply the first time we hike or swim in the summer). BGs are all over the place. Yesterday I was *so* happy that I skied and did not go low (100 during the ski!)... then 2 hours afterwards I was 455! I didn't even know my meter went that high. I did not eat after the ski.

My son, meanwhile, went ice skating and dropped to 45. Then downhill skiing was over 300 all day (How, by the way, do you check BG when it's 10 degrees F outside? Or -10? How do you take a meter/snacks on a swim across a lake?). I just have not figured this out. I've tried all kinds of combinations of snacks and temp basals and it's just getting worse. It's easier with regular exercise that I do every day, but even then I don't have it figured out. After 13 years! So frustrating.

Are there any tools out there to help figure this out? One thing that would be nice would be somewhere that you could enter the data and then find it a month or a year later-- with what you did and what did or didn't work. I just can't remember from one month to the next what I did last time (with exercise that is occasional). Like, did I try a 50% temp bolus when I skied a month ago, and what happened then?

thanks!

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Gary Scheiner's T1U class on exercise and then working with his group has helped us so much with exercise. The dread, lows, highs are gone; most of the time my daughter now stays in target. I highly recommend working with them.