- advertisement -

Canadian Newbie... Reaching out for any advice!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by liamsmum, Jul 8, 2015.

1. liamsmum

liamsmum Approved members

Greetings All!

My son is 11, and just diagnosed last week as a type 1 diabetic.

I took him into emerg as he was throwing up and complaining it was hard to breathe. He had all the tell tale symptoms of a diabetic. Thirsty, lathargic...

Since then, we spent 7 days on the Peds floor, have had a crash course in Diabetes and numerous meetings with dieticians, child care workers, and diabetic education nurses. ..Can I just say how lucky and thankful I am to have amazing support in our system, education and health care available.

We've been home for 2 days now, and was expecting this to be a lot harder. I can see how our new routine will become second nature. We've always been a "brown" family, only buying whole wheat grains, rice and pasta, and we really haven't had to buy anything new to accommodate our new routine. I'm also an expert label reader as I've always counted carbs and tracked my food intake. So carb counting is almost second nature to me. .. it's like i was destined to raise a diabetic child (lol)

Liam is taking everything really well. But we have always been positive, and looked on the brighter side. He's old enough to understand what he has, he understands the science, and better yet, he understands what will happen to him if he doesn't take care of himself. I've always been upfront and not "sugar coating" difficult subjects in my parenting technique, and no exceptions this time either.

He does have the realization he's diabetic every now and then and gets upset he cant go barefoot as he used to. But my husband and I are doing everything with him, eating the same, and the same rules apply to us as him. I think this is making him realize we are with him every step of the way...

Now my daughter on the other hand (who is 9) is defo feeling left out as I stayed in hospital with my son. She is acting out, and Liam, is not helping by playing on her feelings that he is better, and more deserving of our attention. I'm hoping this will stop as we are all home now and things can get back to normal... I'm also including her in the treatment, and meal plannings. I find if she feels involved more, she wont feel so left out. She's my official "writer downer" as she likes to call it. She documents all his blood sugar levels, updates the food diary & helps figure out how much insulin he needs.

My motto in life is : Its not about what happens, its about how you deal with it. Positivity makes all the difference.

I'm on here to find other like-minded parents, and connect with them. I'm very open minded and welcome any advice, and positive criticisms. I'm also looking to meet families in my area. I really think its important for Liam to meet other children with type 1.

2. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

Welcome to the group! I still consider myself a newbie, though we've been at this for almost 14 months. Your outlook is very healthy. I like how you are including your daughter. Diabetes affects the entire family, not just the CWD, and everyone has to go through the emotional process at their own rate. My T1D is my youngest, and my other three DDs have always said she is the favorite because she is the "baby". Since her T1D diagnosis, and a few months ago celiac to boot, they say that even more. I just trust that as they grow up and mature, they will understand.

Blessings to you.

3. chalke43

chalke43 Approved members

Sorry you have to be here. Sounds like you've got a great outlook, but I'm sorry, why can't he go barefoot? That seems a bit extreme to me.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hi and welcome. I agree, you appear to have a great attitude. The early days can be very tough and a good attitude makes all the difference.

A few comments: You can still be a “brown” family. Except that now you just need to count the carbs and give insulin. No need to radically change your diet just because of Type 1. As for not allowing him to go barefoot, did someone tell you that? In my opinion, there is absolutely no reason why a child with Type 1 diabetes can’t go barefoot or do any of the other things they would normally do if they didn’t have this disease. I think the notion of not going barefoot stems from the fact that if you have neuropathy, or damage to the nerves of your feet, and you get a cut and don’t feel it, then it could get infected. If you don’t treat the infection it could get worse and could possibly result in losing that limb. But I am pretty sure your newly diagnosed son does not have that problem.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  5. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

This is a great community, so glad you've found us!
    Sounds like you guys are doing great, I also believe its really important to have a positive outlook. Just don't worry if the time comes when he has a down day (or hour) about it. I've always been amazed at my daughter's resiliency and adaptability when it comes to diabetes, but there are times when she'll say "I wish I wasn't diabetic" and we'll have a little pity party about it. It's part of the process and ok to be mad/upset/sad about it sometimes. I feel like its important to acknowledge those emotions and then move on.
    Welcome!

6. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Hi from just down the 401 - we are in London ontario! About 1.5 years into this with my then 3 year old daughter, just turned 5! It does become a new normal. Still hard some days, but some things just become the way things are done! Welcome!

7. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Hello! I'm from just north of Toronto! My son was diagnosed at 2.5 years old--that was 4.5 years ago. Life is really quite normal around our house. Diabetes sort of takes over for a while, but it will become a part of the fabric of your day.

It sounds like you have a great attitude. It is okay, though, if you or your son fall apart at any point. Positivity is great and really powerful, but anger and despair are natural and should be acknowledged as such. No one is failing if someone has a bad day. Many people feel fine for a while, only to go through a rough patch. This may happen to you, and it is totally normal!

Please continue to read and post, as this is a great community. It also helps to look into local resources, through your hospital or the JDRF. Feel free to send me any Canada-specific questions. There are way more Americans than Canadians on this forum, but there is definitely a Canadian contingent here!

Oh, finally, I second Christopher's comment about bare feet. I've never been advised by a reliable source that a child with type 1 diabetes needs to wear shoes all the time. In the future, neuropathy might become an issue, but as long as he has no nerve damage now and his blood glucose level is not consistently so high as to affect his body's ability to heal, I can't see why it would be a problem. My son spends most of his days barefoot!

8. sroy

sroy Approved members

My story sounds much like yours (7days in hospital, crash course etc.) into our second year. My son is 10 and we live in Mississauga. He has been on Omnipod since March-15 and Dexcom on and off. We have been managing quite okay with our amazing support system at the clinic. We have our share of bad days though.

Would love to share experiences with you and meet if possible.

9. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

We also had our son to be diagnosed when our son was 11 and it was a shock! At least you have the food and carb counting down because that takes a lot of the stress out of it. I remember counting out crackers into snack bags and crying because this was what I thought the rest of our son's life would amount to. Far from the truth! Ok, the first three months were so crazy, with so many stupid comments from people, questions about why, trying not to cry first thing in the morning when I realized it wasn't a dream, etc. All these things are normal I have been reassured, but it was so overwhelming at first. Keep a positive attitude. That helped more than I can ever tell you! Our son never got angry, just disappointed that he "wasn't as healthy as he thought he was". That statement almost brought me to my knees. I would ask him occasionally how he was dealing, and he was pretty positive about the whole thing. He has been amazing! I think the young ones might be easier to get started with all this, than say a full fledged teen who wants to do what they want. Keep your chin up, it will get easier. Give it some time, it will become second nature before you know it. Sorry you have to be here, but this is the best support group I have found! Oh, the barefoot thing is silly. The only way that is dangerous is for someone who does not control their diabetes and has nerve problems in their feet. Our son is allowed to go barefoot whenever he wants. But it is good practice to have him check his feet after a good romp outside...just to make sure he didn't get a scratch or cut that might need a bandaid. Hugs to you and your family. You all are in our thoughts and prayers. :triumphant: