advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you put a transmitter back on if it falls off?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kail, Aug 20, 2015.

1. kail

kail Approved members

Today my little one was sitting on my lap after soccer practice and somehow the transmitter popped off of her arm. This is never happened to us before and it was a bit scary if it happened when I didn't notice. The tape is still on fine and I hate to pull it all off and redo it but I can't seem to pop the transmitter back on without the little piece of plastic that usually helps click into place. Or at least she starts complaining that it hurts too much so I can't push very hard. Are there any tricks to doing this or am I stuck peeling off and starting over.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Yes, if the sensor is well attached you can try to snap the transmitter back into place. I can be done but it will take some force.

3. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

This has happened to us several times. It doesn't have to be forceful if you stretch out the two plastic parts that hug the thicker end of the transmitter. I use both thumbs to stretch out the plastic parts, then use an index finger to press the thicker part in. I was pretty forceful about this until I figured that out.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  4. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

You dont have to push too hard if you carefully pry the two tabs out.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think this story is a good reminder that when you put on a new sensor to always carefully check that the transmitter has been properly secured. I am new to using the Dexcom so I check each and every time. And the last several times I have put on a new sensor and then put on the transmitter, it was not secured by both of the fastener arms and I had to pry the one fastener arm out and push the transmitter in hard to get it correctly secured. It wasn't easy because it was on her arm, but it is doable.

If done correctly that transmitter should never pop out like you describe. My guess is that when you replaced the sensor, the transmitter was never properly secured.
    Live and learn! :smile:

6. kail

kail Approved members

Thanks for the advice everyone. Unfortunately I did not see the advice about pulling the tabs out until it was too late and I had already replaced the whole things. Oh well, live and learn. We had been offline for about 3 hours by the time I changed it and I couldn't stand it anymore. Yes I will definately check more closely that the sensor is tightly secured. I felt like I barely caught her arm on me and it just popped right off. It has never been like that before. The sensor was already 12 days old so I just gave up and changed it as she was not happy with my multiple attempts to force it back on there. It had stopped working a couple hours before that and was giving us an hourglass so I am guessing that is when it became truly loose. Very eye opening since she had just finished soccer when it happened and has been swimming and everything in the past 12 days with a loose sensor. Also scary since she is about to start kindergarten and I hate to think of it falling off there.

7. Christopher

You really shouldn't have to worry about it falling off if it is properly attached. Those two side clips really hold it in there tight. Just double check it is clipped on with both clips and you should be good to go.

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

You can pinch the sides where the gray "feet" go in and it should snap back in without a lot of force. Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I will PM you a video I made for someone on here on how to do it. It is very easy once you figure out where to put your fingers. I would not assume that you did not have the transmitter in properly. I always double check that my transmitter is in on both sides and every few months I have one side of the transmitter pop out. And once one side is out it is pretty easy for the other side to come out as well. It just happens but as long as you check it when you see question marks or an hourglass you should catch it quickly.

9. Zivile

Zivile Approved members

I'm curious - wouldn't it be safer just to overtape transmitter? Because we use Medtronic CGM and Minilink transmitter is always under tape.

10. swellman

swellman Approved members

Like posted earlier, it's really not like to come off unless it was loose to begin with. We only tape when we think the sensor may come off.

I listen very hard for the "click click" when using the lever to seat it AND visually inspect it as well. In all our years we've never had a transmitter come out of the sensor. Looking for wood now.

11. Christopher

As Swellman said (before he jinxed himself...just kidding!), if it is clipped in correctly to begin with it is really unlikely to come out. Also, I was told not to tape over the transmitter because it could interfere with the readings. I KNOW there are members here who say otherwise and if they don't have a problem taping over then that is great. And also, I am only a few weeks into using Dexcom so take what I say with a grain of salt.

12. kail

kail Approved members

thanks everyone. I do listen very carefully for 2 clicks when inserting it and thought I was checking pretty well that it was secure. I certainly will be looking at it a little more often though in between insertions and anytime it is not sending info. It never occurred to me to check that it was secure when it was showing an hour glass as we raced off to soccer practice.