- advertisement -

Can you help with a student project?

Discussion in 'Diabetes and College' started by Megan_Clegg, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Megan_Clegg

Megan_Clegg Approved members

Hi there! My name is Megan Clegg. I'm a student at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) in Rochester, NY, a senior majoring in graphic design. I'm also a type 1 diabetic since 2003.

I've recently begun working on a project related to Type One diabetes and am wondering if you could take a moment to please review it and give me feedback.

The project explained:

When I first received the project, I knew that I wanted to do something that targeted other Type One diabetics. I thought about my own experience as a diabetic, particularly right after I was first diagnosed, and tried to figure out what was missing that could have made my life easier. I decided to design and produce a diabetes kit to be given to newly diagnosed type ones and (since most type one's are underage) their parents upon their discharge from the hospital following their diagnosis.

Drawing on my own experience, I know how scary it is for both a diabetic and their family to transition from the hospital back to life. At first, they're confronted with this new, incredibly complex disease that they may know nothing about, but they're in a medical setting with people who know how to care for them so it's ok. But they can't be in a hospital forever. They get some time with a diabetes educator- an hour, maybe two- during which they and their parents attempt to learn everything about diabetes. It's so overwhelming to be expected to know everything in such a short time, especially for parents of really young children as they must completely shoulder the responsibility of managing their child's treatment. And then in a day or two, they are discharged and sent home to figure things out on their own. They're given some literature and diabetes supplies to help them out but everything is in different packets and boxes and books. Everything is just so scattered. Not everyone has the time or ability to sort through it all.

My idea is to put everything together for them, in one case, with labels and instructions on what everything is. Of course there are many cases out there already, but when I searched, I could not find any cases that came pre-assembled with all supplies in it already and instructions on what those supplies are. My hope, with this kit, is that I can make things less overwhelming for the newly diagnosed diabetic and their family by giving them a product that acts almost like a guidebook, to help them through those first few confusing days. I want to help them to feel secure, confident in themselves, and in control, to believe that they've got this and they can figure out what they are doing when it comes to diabetes. Once they have got the hang of their disease, I then hope that they will continue using the kit into the future to hold all their supplies. For younger diabetics, the educational aspect of the case could still be useful to any extended family, teachers, or neighbors who may be looking after the diabetic.

The "Joey":

The kit can be seen here: http://meganegginclegg.blogspot.com/2009/11/joey_16.html
    Hopefully the photographs and descriptions can give you an accurate idea of everything.

The Questions:

If you could review the photographs above and then answer these questions for me, I would extremely appreciate it. The more feedback I get on this, the better I can make this kit so it can be used for any Type One under any situation.

Your personal experience:
    1) What is your association with Type One diabetes?
    2) Were you/your child diagnosed in a hospital or had to stay in a hospital after being diagnosed?
    3) What were some emotions you experienced when first confronted with diabetes?
    4) How were you educated on diabetes? By a diabetes educator? Through a class? On your own?
    b) Was that education enough?
    5) In the first week or two of your/your child?s diagnosis, how well do you feel like you understood diabetes?
    b) If you did not feel like you understood diabetes that well, what would
    have helped you understand it better? Would a kit such as the Joey help?
    c) Do you feel that if you knew more or had a better grasp on what
    diabetes was, you would feel more secure/safe/confident? Why or
    why not?

The kit:
    1) Would you use this kit?
    2) Do you feel like this kit is useful? Do you think there is a need for a kit like this?
    3) Is there anything in this kit that does not need to be there? Anything not included that should be included?
    4) How do you feel about the size?
    5) How do you feel about the name?
    6) Do you think the labeling system is helpful? Do the symbols make sense?
    7) Do you think the Instructional Poster is helpful? Does it have enough information? Is it easy to read and understand?
    8) Do you think the high-low care card is useful? Does it have enough information? Is it easy to understand?
    9) Do you think this is appropriate for children? Would older adolescents or adults also use this for themselves?
    10) Do you think the kit if versatile enough to be used over the years?
    11) Any other thoughts?

Thank you again for any help you can offer! I know those are a lot of questions but I want this kit to be as effective as possible. I'm very excited about this project and if it is successful, I would love to turn this into an actual product that could be donated to hospitals. Being able to help other Type One diabetics would be amazing.

(This has been crossposted to other parts of forum as well)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009