- advertisement -

Can You Ever Laugh About It?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sooz, Jan 22, 2013.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

You know, it's odd, but I don't really laugh that much about diabetes. I don't consider it too important or too serious to laugh about or anything, but I think it's so engrained in our routine, and I'm just usually trying to get that site change done and move on to something else or whatever, that I don't give it enough thought to laugh about.

We do find it amusing when Jack comes wandering out after a shower wearing only his pump. It's like once he gets that on, he considers himself dressed, and anything else is just icing on the cake.

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

ROTF! I love that.

We laughed when dd hit a geyser one day when she pulled off her site. I mean the blood shot out in an arc. We both looked shocked and then started laughing. Some D stuff is just funny. Like when you prick your finger and nothing comes out so you prick again and when you squeeze it two dots of blood come out and it looks just like a vampire bit you.

Or when your dh gets up early and checks dd and says, I just checked her--it's 515 so you leap out of bed and do an emergency site change and check her and she's like 180 and you say WHY DID YOU SAY SHE WAS 515?!?!? and he say, "I didn't-- I said it's 5:15. I meant the time." and you try not to kill him. Now that's funny.

And I swear you will not regret watching Marcel the Diabetic Shell on youtube. It's hilarious!! I mean laugh out loud funny.

I once told dd we had to do a butt site and my ds said, "I thought we weren't supposed to go to those types of websites!" :D

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

So many great stories! :p:D:D:D

4. clong

clong New Member

Newly diagnosed toddler and overwhelmed

I am a mother of two toddler girls (Ages 4 & 5). Our 5 y/o was just diagnosed this week.... It's our first day home and still can't believe this happened and feeling overwhelmed. Any initial advice from anyone on how to cope? breaking my heart to have to say no to my child who just wants life to go back to normal and eat her favorite foods!

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would recommend starting your own thread and having people respond to it.

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

Clong, coping in the beginning is just absorbing all of the information that is flowing your way and learning to implement it in as positive and matter of fact way as possible with your child as you can. Try to get as many family members as you can to learn along side of you. In the meantime, in your private moments, like in the shower, let the tears flow and grieve for it all. You can see from this thread that it does get better, and that even though sometimes it is still crushing, there are things to laugh about too. It will become your " new normal." I don't know what kind of insulin regimen you are on now, but there are protocols that will allow your child to eat what they want when they want it. Best of luck. I know it is so hard right now. It is heartbreaking, but I like to remember that the day our children were diagnosed, that is the day their lives were saved.