- advertisement -

Can You Ever Laugh About It?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sooz, Jan 22, 2013.

1. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

Sarah, that bit about Wilson was absolutely hysterical. I loved it! It's nice to be able to joke about things once in a while. If I didn't, I think I'd go mad. I try to see the brighter side of things the majority of the time like when we're in public and my son mentions that he feels high. The looks we get from some people are absolutely priceless.

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

3. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Had a similar conversation with another mom of a boy with T1 in my son's school. We were standing outside the school lamenting about how high our sons had been lately...it wasn't until later that I had to wonder what other people overhearing our conversation might have thought!:eek::D

It is best to laugh whenever the opportunity arises! Middle of the night BG checks I imagine would look pretty comical to an outsider....especially when we are on vacation and I am wearing a headlamp and standing on a chair to reach the top bunk and wrestle my son's hand out from under his pillow. And I don't know how many times I've come into his room in the middle of the night and stepped on some toy or knocked something over...again, I have to laugh at how goofy I must look. Good thing it's only the stuffed animals watching!;):D

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

No, not at all. The only thing that is offensive is posting bogus cures for diabetes.

Having a good sense of humor is a very important part of managing diabetes.

5. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Yeah...I think people must think I'm nuts when we go out for ice cream and I'm insisting he has to finish as much of the hot fudge as he can...AND make sure he drinks more of his diet soda (drinking really helps keep his BGs down when he's eating high-carb foods).

6. Christopher

True, but the founder of this site doesn't want that kind of nonsense on this site so we need to respect that. There are so many other things that could be posted to bring humor into our lives that things like bogus cures just aren't needed and only promote misinformation.

Just my 2 cents. :cwds:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  7. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I'm sorry you are feeling this way. I think we all have days like this. Yes, I think it is fine, and healthy, to share an inside joke about diabetes from time to time. I would go nuts if I couldn't. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but DS and I have a chuckle about something from time to time. Ok, here's one. On his one year diaversary we joked that I should make a cake or something really sugary to celebrate. (I know that might not be funny to some, but DS was amused.) I wish I had a better example.

Lately, not because of D, I've noticed myself being a little more surly than I have any good excuse to be. One day I was listening to the radio and someone said something really funny (the kind of funny you still laugh at hours later) and it turned my whole day around. There's plenty of funny stuff on youtube to fit everyone's sense of humor. Maybe you could look there for a way to laugh at our crazy world?

Wish I could be more help. I'm not really the "funny" type. Hope you feel better soon. *hugs*

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

Since we're passing out coins..., my 2 cents is that I read 10 other threads daily which are FAR more dangerous and contain far more inaccurate information than one posting about a fake "cure" which was so obviously fake that no one would consider it anything but. :rolleyes:

9. Christopher

You should probably direct that to Jeff.

10. Mish

Mish Approved members

I have no need for the tattle tale button, thanks very much.

11. Christopher

I don't see it as "tattling" but more as trying to keep the site in the spirit it was intended. If people see things here that bother them, there is nothing wrong with bringing it up to the site admin and letting them decide how to handle it.

But no biggie, life goes on. :cwds:

12. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Let's try not to derail this thread.

If you have issues with content I've removed, PM me.

13. MelStan

MelStan Member

Thanks mmgirls :cwds: but I'm really just wading through this, trying to keep my head up.

14. Mish

Mish Approved members

You're still here. That's what matters. Most of us, dare I say all of us, would have probably considered and possibly acted upon alternative methods of coping. :cwds: I hope you're doing well and hope you continue to keep your head above water.

15. MelStan

MelStan Member

Thank you too Mish :)

Yes, I'm still here, and I tell myself that that's what matters, but I do think about the other every day (sometimes I long for it). Ella needs me more than ever now, so I have to be strong, if only for her. And so we laugh, as much as we can.

Thanks for getting it :cwds:

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi, Mel :cwds:

I was thinking about your Ella the other day and your art ;) Hope you're painting!!

Good to "see" you around.

17. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Right after my daughter was dxd at 10 we were watching tv and an erectile disfunction commercial came on, it said something like "do you have ED caused by diabetes". Poor Hanna turned to me and said oh no I'm gonna have ED! It was both very funny and a relief that I could tell her no worries about getting that!

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

You are the strongest woman, or man, here.

19. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We laugh about diabetes all the time, especially since we got our second diagnosis. It's always just random stuff. Like I found out that DS is having a BG contest with another CWD at school. And when he wins (they play by one rule - lowest number wins - with complete disregard for the idea of being too low :p ) he does this crazy dance. And a few days ago I scratched my leg and my son ran for a meter and test strip so we could see what my leg's number was. They thought it was hilarious. Kids :p And both are notorious at licking away the excess blood after checking their fingers so they have this vampire accent they use right afterwards. And our app tracks site rotation and it labels rears as "right buttocks" and "left buttocks" so the kids have taken to calling them Butt. Tocks. in this formal voice and they say it all. the. time. And my son had me laughing so hard one afternoon because he was having his belly talk and it was pleading for no shot while he did his shot and he had this evil, maniacal mad scientist voice for his part and this little kid voice for his belly. And we still laugh when we remember DS as a little kid. DD was a bit of a handful and she had a huge temper as a toddler/preschooler. When she was diagnosed, she would hit people when she was high - it was her only symptom. When DS was 4-5 and would get irritated at her, he'd come tell us, "Mommy, give her a shot so she will be nice to me again!" I think he was convinced the insulin bottles were filled with liquid happiness. :p When DD was on a pump, DS learned the word cyborg and told her she was one. She thought it was awesome and told people that she was part robot.

I don't know. I guess there is always the background worry but I try not to let the kids see it. Humor seems to help them adapt and while they don't like having diabetes, a good laugh can make it less horrible.

20. Deal

Deal Approved members

I sometimes get a chuckle from the bickering and the passive aggressive posting that is becoming far too normal here. More often I just logoff.