- advertisement -

Can You Ever Laugh About It?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sooz, Jan 22, 2013.

1. sooz

sooz Approved members

It seems like my job in the family is to worry about things and carry them in my heart. Hailey is entering puberty and her numbers have been crazy. On top of that she has a new endo and we have been working to fine tune her ratios and correction factors. I know we all carry a heavy burden, but how do you lighten things up so it all becomes more bearable? We have been at this a long time, and usually it is somewhat routine, but sometimes it still feels crushing. Right now I am feeling particularly disheartened. Do you ever find anything to laugh about when it comes to diabetes to lighten your mood? Do you think it is ok to share an inside joke about it sometimes? What kinds of things make you sit back and laugh at our crazy world? Anything?

2. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I try to find something, but only with people who get it. Most of the humor I find is reflecting back on situations we went through. Like the first weekend I went out with friends and left my daughter with her grandparents. She called me for care help. I stepped out of the movie and went into the restroom. I have to laugh when I saw a woman's face as I was saying. What do you mean your high again tonight you were high last night it sounded I am sure like I was okay with my daughter getting high one night but not two nights in a row. Of course the conversation had more for her to dose and by then the strange looks I had from one lady was replaced with another woman hearing me say be careful how much you put into your syringe or you will go to low. I admit at the time I was stressed but looking back from another perspective it is funny out of context. Now I always scroll to the humor section of the weekly newsletter from CWD. Or looking in the forums for fun things people share. It is not always advice, concerns. So I know many people have funny situations they can reflect back on.

3. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I am an adult living with T1, so I'd imagine my 'humor' about Diabetes will be different then that of a parent with a child who has diabetes.

I am fairly sarcastic IRL, and tend to joke about most things. Working full time in the Emergency Department I think has changed my outlook on most things. You see a lot of sad situations, and so we find humor in odd ways.

I do joke about my Diabetes, but usually just lighthearted and not all the time. For instance, I was really thirsty one day, and was drinking loads of water (not diabetes related, I was just very thirsty LOL). Anyway, I turned to my coworker and said ,"Geez, I am so thirsty today, you would think I have Diabetes or something." They kind of paused, as they know I have Diabetes, and had that confused look on their face, and then started laughing. So, yes, that is the kind of things I will do.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

How about when your kid has been running high for way longer than you would like and you thow everything out the window and get that, "you don't know how many friggin carbs are in it and don't care", wheigh it and google with joy.

I mean if with dilegent care you are not getting the results you want then doing something that you normally would not do is a relief sometimes. a moment in time to laugh and show Diabetes that your world is not centered on it.

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

If you don't laugh, you'll go crazy. I mean, in what universe is any of this normal??? I think you have to step outside the big picture every once in a while and just see the little things for what they are. They're pretty insanely silly. The other day I broke another alarm clock. Probably my third since dx. Who breaks alarm clocks? Only people who set two or three alarms every night. Or feeling something in your shoe, removing it, and finding a test strip inside? How is that not funny? Or when your kid forgets to bolus or test and you can say "oh, I know this is sooooo new to you." :rolleyes:

The big picture is important, and it's scary. But there is a lot of humor in the little parts of what we do every day. Try to take relax your focus every so often and just focus on the today.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Three days into cgm'ing, Maddie has nicknamed her cgm "Wilson" (see film "Castaway") I've been watching her mm pump screen rather obsessively.

Me: "So what does Wilson say?"

Maddie: "That he'd like a restraining order" :rolleyes:

Lots of laughter. What else can we do but laugh at our predicament? :cwds:

7. MelStan

MelStan Member

LOL Sarah! I love that! Maddie obviously inherited her mom's sharp sense of humour :)

I think that no matter what happens in life it's important to try and retain a sense of humour (and I know it's really hard to sometimes).

But I try. Sometimes I think I'd go under if I didn't see the lighter side of things.

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

from your mouth to GODs ears. You have so much to teach us.

9. steph

steph Approved members

I'm only a year into this. There are periods when I feel especially stressed or overwhelmed about my daughter's D care. Rather than finding something lighthearted about D, what helps me is to remember that no matter how big D can feel at times. Its only one small part of my daughter and one small part of our lives. There are so many wonderful and amazing things about my little girl and about my life that makes D seem more manageable. I don't know if this would be helpful for you, but it helps me feel better.

Things I laugh about are her funny 2 year old understanding of things. Like she thinks its called "daddybetes" and she asks if I have "mommybetes". She asks about the carbs in everything. One time she asked for her Smarties and I told her they were just for when she was low and didn't feel good. And she thought for a moment and said, "well, I don't feel THAT good." She takes everything in stride and cracks me up.

10. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I laugh quite a bit about diabetes, but like a previous poster said, I'm an adult so my perspective is different. I went skiing the other day and had a low of 42. My friend I was with panicked and went in the lodge and asked for some juice (even though I had stuff with me). I was like, "Yay, diabetes, an excuse to get free stuff!"

11. mocha

mocha Approved members

One thing that has been putting a smile on my face is the website Type 1 Diabetes Memes. They make some pretty good, and hilarious, observations about living with type 1.

It's nice knowing that you're not the only one, that there are others who get it, and there are people who can make you smile, even if it's smiling about D.

12. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

OMG, how have I never seen this before? First thing- too many reservoirs, not enough infusion sites- so true for me!

13. sooz

sooz Approved members

Thank you everyone for your replies. They made me feel so much better. I love hearing your stories. I was beginning to feel like posting something I find humorous or eye roll worthy would be offensive to everyone. Steph, thank you for the advice, and Sarah, I love Wilson. Mocha, priceless web site. I didn't know about it, thanks. Everyone has offered something sweet and funny along with good advice. I'm glad we can, each in our own way, find something to keep us going. Good to know. Keep the stories coming!

(((Mel)))

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I hope that someday my MIL will be able to "feel" the way you do. SO kind and loving and needed.

15. sooz

sooz Approved members

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much! I have been there from the start and trying to learn as much as I can. I can't even imagine it any other way. We are lucky that we only live 3/4 of a mile apart. We get to see the girls every day when we pick them up from school to have them til their mom gets home from work....lots of sleepovers here too. They are such a blessing! I'm so glad I am still able to help my kids!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  16. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Sooz, I wish my parents/in-laws were involved the way you are!!

In November I took DS with me to get my flu shot at CVS. After waiting 45 minutes, we got called into a private room and the pharmacist gave me my shot. She said "ut oh" and a big gush of blood was dripping down my arm. DS looked at my arm and said "OMG, that is NOT how you give a shot, I could have done a better job on my mom".

17. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

All the time=) we make jokes about being high... about taking drugs... about food=D My family jokes a lot though... I think other people think we're weird but it makes life easier to laugh=)

18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

:cwds:

Yes, it is so true Mel.
    With so many things going on in our lives and in this world, the only way to move forward is to see the lighter side of things.

19. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

20. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

those D memes are hysterical!

My favorite Marcel line--One time I set my pump on vibrate and I fell out of bed. :p