- advertisement -

"can you eat that"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TheTestingMom, Oct 24, 2013.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

We have had that question,but I think it it is genuine concern then anything else. I know her teacher contacted me last week about the Halloween party asking what kind of special treats Sophie could have. I explained that with very few exceptions she can eat the same thing as other kids,but she does need insulin for the food. The poor teacher thought anything with sugar was off limits for her

2. ChaosRules

ChaosRules Approved members

Oh, I really like that answer! :D

3. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

Thanks everyone! I tried to help him come up with some quick comeback but he's 12 and I don't know ANYTHING ;)

My father inlaw is a jerk and proves himself over and over each time we're around him, which thankfully isn't much. If it came from someone else I might be inclined to think they were joking around. But given the lack of relationship FIL has with my son I know he was being an ass. I am patient, and totally get people not understanding about T1D but we've talked and talked and taught and taught him/them. He's an attorney, so he isn't lacking in brains. Being a dick? yes.

Thanks....

4. TheTestingMom

I like that. I would probably lick my lips, eat it and say no!:D

5. toohughey

toohughey Approved members

My DD wil then ask, "Why, is there poison in it?"

6. TheTestingMom

♥ that one too!

7. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I've been dealing with this a lot more now that my son has celiac disease, the whole, oh, well bread (cookies/pasta/candy/whatever) is bad for somebody with diabetes anyways so it's probably good he can't have gluten. I try to educate and then I realize that most people who say this aren't wanting to be educated and won't hear me anyways as they've already decided they know more than me. I just listen and move on, if the food of discussion (in GF form) is there I gladly help my child to it!
    There are those times where I just think there is no cure for stupid!

8. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

It only annoys me if people ask who know nothing about diabetes. I then educate....even though they probably are getting a little more than they asked for I think every bit of knowledge we put out there counts.

If it was a family member that had already been educated and it's been "a while" that would make me angry....more angry inside than out of course.

We had a recent issue with my inlaws constantly bringing Bethany's attention to sweets and desserts as she has a sweet tooth unfortunately. They are aware that she isn't as limited because of the pump but of course shouldn't be pushing sweets on her either. We had a talk with them and it has stopped since....keep speaking to your family and bring up that your son gets upset when asked constantly. He knows what he can have and that's all that should concern them.

9. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

My daughter doesn't get angry but I get pretty annoyed. Sometimes I have to repeat the same information to the same people.