- advertisement -

Can you downgrade from G5 to G4?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

The receiver won't share, only the phone, and the receiver no longer sends data to the phone at all. My son is 52 pounds and it is a lot easier for him to have the receiver on a belt at school than carry a phone. His phone is able to pick up his receiver data from almost every classroom he goes into and if he goes out of range of his phone, it fills in the missing data points even if he just walks close enough to the phone for 5 minutes.

With G5, the phone does not fill in missing data points when he is back in range so I would hypothetically get a number and an arrow, but not data points to see what is really happening. Also, I have heard from parents that you have to be back in range of the phone for quite a while, like 15 minutes before the phone and transmitter find each other again, while currently he only needs to pass by the phone for a couple of minutes with the receiver for the phone to get data, and also to get all of the missing data.

The pros would be that I only would have to manage the phone, not the receiver and phone, but again if the phone takes longer to reconnect to the transmitter than it does reconnecting to the receiver (almost immediately now) then he has to get in range and stay in range of the phone for me to get anything like a complete picture of his data and the data lost when out of range of the phone gone for good.

I would like to know how the algorithm works. If you leave range with a reading of say 95, and come back in range half an hour later, will the receiver and algorithm calculate the same blood sugar when you return as if you stayed in range and it saw all of your readings? The answer is that it must be the same because the phone and receiver with G5 would give the same reading and they don't communicate with each other at all so that means that the algorithm simply uses the last post calibration value and the current meter voltage and give you a number which is independent of what has happened in between, BUT the tech support says that the receiver (or now the phone as receiver) DO learn the individual over time.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

So right now, both girls are in basement. Receivers are upstairs, phone is dead (due to day off and massive Minecraft activity). G4 daughter just alarmed that she's dropping. G5 daughter is out of range. Never before has this been an issue, and now all of a sudden it has become one.

We can easily live with these blips, but it's just annoying.

3. kail

kail Approved members

Oh I don't like the sound of this. I'm pretty happy with the range of dex now and I do not want her to have to keep a phone on her person. At home the receiver can pick her up anywhere in our 2 story house and part of the backyard. It would be a huge drag if we had to chase her around with an iphone :blue:

4. Beach bum

At home we use receiver. We keep them on the kitchen counter and for the most part they stay in range. They are 14, so iPhones are always on them! One plus, receiver was left behind the other day. G5 daughter had her phone so it was no big deal. That was nice.

5. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

Dexcom G5 Receiver

The G5 comes with a receiver, though. Why not just use that in addition to the phones? Unless I missed reading something. I'm in the process of switching back to Dexcom after 2 years on the Mini-Med CGM and we don't have iPhones or Androids.

6. Beach bum

It's hype was that if you had the iPhone that you didn't have to bother with a receiver.

7. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Can't stand the G5. I have a new unopened G4 transmitter and a old reciever with Bluetooth. Honestly thinking of switching my daughter back. Herphone has to be right next to her for the G5 to work. I've always told her not to be tied to her phone. Now she pretty much has to have it in hand all the time. Doesn't work if she's in the shower and her phones in her room ( her bathroom is in her bedroom). Never had that with G4. She's uses the Dex reciever ad school because she's self conscious about pulling a phone out in school. The G5 doesn't fill in missing data.