advertisement

can you be hyperthyroid and have a 'normal' result?

Discussion in 'Thyroid and Other Autoimmunity' started by momof2here, Jun 22, 2010.

1. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

My son was tested in 09 and the first number of the two that he was tested for was in the high range and the second number was low.

They said that one one is low and the other is high they counterbalance each other and so having one bad number is not exactly a cause for alarm and he may have been tested just when a message was sent for more of that hormone (sorry, I don't know all the technical names).

Then, he was test one year later and supposedly 'normal' - but he has almost every symptom.

Can he have a normal result and yet still have a true thyroid problem (is it possible for it to behave some times or, if it is damaged but not destroyed, could it still be working off and on????)

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

You mean the T3 and T4? I don't want to weigh in until I know what those numbers were.
    Was the TSH normal?

3. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Get a copy of the lab results - "normal" doesn't mean a whole lot. There's a wide margin on the reference ranges, and it's not all "normal".

4. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

thanks for the responses, sorry I didn't have more info - I swore that I would remember what these numbers were and, with all the conversation during the endo visit, I forgot.

I will ask for the records.

I can tell you that the first number was supposed to be under 150 and it was 165 and the second number was within range, on the high side.

Then, one year later, both numbers were 'within range' according to the lab.

I will work on getting more info - thanks again :)