- advertisement -

Can we talk frio pouches?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Traci, May 14, 2012.

1. Traci

Traci Approved members

Going on a cruise this summer and feel the need to purchase a frio bag to keep stuff cool while we travel--just tired of dealing with temperamental mini-friges and buckets of ice.

I'd like to keep three bottles of novalog in the frio bag (three bottles of insulin for a 7 day trip should be enough, right? ;) ). Ds is also on Omnipod and we carry his PDM, lancets, and test strips. Does anyone have the frio pump pouch? Would this work for the PDM and other supplies? It has a waterproof interior lining to keep a regular tubed pump dry, so I would **think** it would work for a PDM and strips, but wondered if anyone had first hand experience. I'd hate to risk it! If the pump pouch won't work, which case do you recommend?

2. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

I can't comment in the pump frio pouches but have heard good things about them. However we purchased a frio large pouch to keep insulin in and have yet to use it, even when we went on holidays. This is because it needs to breath and I don't know how to pack it and allow it to breath, kwim. Instead, we discovered the good old healing packs that you can buy from Walmart. They are like magic bags that can go in the freezer or in the microwave that you put on tired muscles. The "gel" kind. I find that they remain quite cool even at room temp. Cool enough to keep a bottle of insulin from getting too warm. I know it's not what it is intended for but it's worked well for us.

3. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Just adding to clarify... We freeze the gel pack and put it and the insulin in an insulated lunch bag. The gel pack is great because it doesn't really leave too much condensation when it thaws like ice packs do. (please test it though as my memory is blurry as to whether it was completely dry or if it did have some condensation).

4. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

We have and use the frio pouch for insulin on trips. It works really well. It doesn't cool, but it does help to keep things cool....does that make sense? They are not supposed to be in a sealed container since they do need to breath, but we just put it in my purse. When we arrive at our destination, we just leave it out on the counter. It lasts for several days, and you can always "recharge" it by soaking it in water. Just make sure you order the right size. I didn't double check my order and ended up with the one made for insulin pens. Oops....my bad. It easily holds 2 (maybe 3) vials, but they can be hard to get out.

5. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

You are talking about the 10 ml 100 units/ml vials? How much insulin does your DS use in a week? My DD currently goes through on vial about every 2 weeks. On vacations (average 5-8 days), I take her current vial and one unused one. We use a FRIO pack. Once the insulin is taken out of the refrigerator, it has a shelf life of about 30 days. Do you really think you need 3 vials for 7 days?

I have used the FRIO pump pouch and it does keep the pump cooler. However we use a Ping and it is water proof so any condensation or moisture is fine. I would hesitate putting a PDM in it, you really don't need to keep the PDM cool. Test strips and insulin would both fit in a FRIO pouch.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I was wondering the same... I get wanting to have back-up but once you decide not to try and keep the insulin close to fridge temp then the clock starts ticking on it's expiration.

7. Traci

Traci Approved members

Yep, normal sized vials. We get about five pod fills out of each vial, so that's about 12 to fifteen days on one vial normally. I was planning to take the open vial, and two spares. I've dropped a vial while on vacation before, so now I carry an extra spare. :eek:. We have plenty of insulin...I'd rather have it and not need it than be on a boat stressing over having only one back up. So, yes, I'd want a pouch that holds at least two vials, but probably three.

And the moisture with the PDM would cause me great concern, so I will skip the pump pack. Thank you for the info!

Do you think test strips would suffer from the condensation, too?

8. Traci

Traci Approved members

Yes, that's ok. I'd rather waste one than stress over finding one. I'm a nervous nelly. I readily admit it? :)

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Fair enough ;) I always take too much as well.:eek:

10. McKenna'smom

The test strips containers are pretty air tight, so condensation shouldn't be an issue.

11. Traci

Traci Approved members

Thank you.

Any size suggestions on the pouches? To store two or three insulin vials and a bottle of test strips possibly?

12. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I like to start the Frio packs off by soaking them in ICE water. When you strart with water that has ice cubes in it the Frio pack satys cooler than simply using cold water.

Just don't over soak it, which makes it too puffy and hard to fit into the wallet.

I've never put test strips in the frio pack, so I can't comment on that.

We use the large Firo pack and also the pump pack f going to the beach, or amusement park on a hot day. You can see them at this link www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com/ .

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

Frio pouches work great! :)

I don't know about a PDM, but they sure work well for insulin. Strips are no issue because their containers are airtight.

Sounds like a nice vacation! :cwds:

14. McKenna'smom

Try the Duo Pen wallet.

15. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

I cruise often. I take along a Frio pack for shore excursions. From my experience, the Frio packs are definitely not cold enough for unopened insulin you may not use soon. I leave the opend bottle of insulin I am currently using in our room when on the ship. For my unopened vials (including a spare bottle of Levemir), I take them to the medical center where they have always stored them for me in their temperature controlled fridges which are connected to generator power in case of electrical outages. I learned not to store my insulin in the cruise fridges as the temperature is not controlled and I had an instance of freezing. Since then, they have always held my spare insulin for me without any issues. Also consider bringing a spare PDM if you can get a loaner from Insulet. I always cruise with a spare loaner pump and keep it in the safe. I almost needed it last cruise after jumping in the salt water pool with my MM on, but found out it was still water tight. Also you may want to bring some long acting insulin in case of PDM failure. Ship medical centers often carry NPH and R only from what I have heard.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  16. TysSis

TysSis Approved members

I would say stay away from putting test strips in a Frio bag. Unless it's SUPER warm where you're going, it's probably better to keep them separate. Even if the strip vial is airtight, cold can damage the strips, especially the enzymes that react with the glucose.

17. Traci

Traci Approved members

We always leave spare insulin with the first aid stations at Disney...sounds like I can do the same on a cruise. That would be great and will probably be what I do. Like you, we had a hotel mini fridge freeze insulin once, so I'm a little anxious about using them. With a bucket of ice, I worry someone will toss it out or something. My list of worries is endless! Lol. Thanks for the assistance!

18. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

I'd like to get a Frio pouch that holds 2 vials of insulin and 2 cartridges. Would the Large be the best option for that? Would the Small work?

Thanks!

19. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I don't know where you plan to buy the Frios, but I suggest you contact Patty Murphy at Cooler Concepts (Phone: (630) 529-FR?O(3746) Toll Free: (866) 690-FR?O(3746) Fax: (630) 351-9121 Email: customerservice@coolerconcept.com). She could probably help you determine which pouch(es) you should get. I believe she is in the Chicago area, which is central time.

Her products web page is http://www.coolerconcept.com/products It may also help you determine what to get.

20. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I love my Frio pouches, I wear my pump pouch daily!