- advertisement -

Can the kick Hannah off football?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Belinda, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Ok, so he really didn't understand anything and was just making something up! :rolleyes:

Way to go Hannah!:)

2. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

My guess is he doesn't want a girl on the team and is making up excuses.

I do have to ask though, for my own curiosity----WHY??
    As a parent of a boy who is very involved in football, why would you want your girl in there??
    Yes, I do have 2 girls, I have said to them numerous times that there are plenty of sports that they can play, football and wrestling are 2 which are off limits.
    I personally don't think its appropriate for a girl to have to be accomodated in mens/boys sports, just as I feel girls/women have their own sports.
    I know that girls who are in wrestling, that it really creates issues when boys have to wrestle them.
    Boys are taught not to hit a woman, how does having a girl on the team teach them this??

3. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

My boys are taught not to hit anyone, whether they be male or female.

I also I didn't realize there were boys sports and girls sports.:confused:

4. maliasmama

maliasmama Approved members

her bgs might have gone up because her body is going to the liver for glucose. if she sips gatorade while she's playing her body will use that instead of using the liver to keep her bgs up and she wont go so high, protein helps too. then she wont go as high or low after exercise too when the muscles are repairing from the exercise. cool that she wants to play football though. my cousin made varsity at 15 as a kicker, also a girl. she can still kick some tail! we leave our daughter sometimes when she is playing sports once the coaches know what to do with her. but she also has an alert dog ( i DO NOT want to start an arguement about alert dogs, just saying what worked for us the last few years ;D!) but her coaches love the dog and he calls her in when she drops too fast, so i think they are more comfortable when he's left in the dugout with her. other than that, there are a lot of d kids around our town lately so the schools are having to step up. there will be over 15 kids when our kids starts junior high. should be interesting! good luck, and tell your girly to rock on!;)

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I'm guessing you don't have kids who play lacrosse, football, or hockey. Call it what you want, but a tackle is no different than a hit.

As for sports, yes, there are boys and girls sports. Have you ever watched sports on TV? Olympics, there is mens basketball, and womens, same for many different sports.
    I for one was a competitive gymnast. I did women's gymnastics and although the same name of the sport, women compete on different appratus.

I"m all for equal rights, but there are just some things where a woman, or a girl, just doesn't belong---on a field where kids tackle eachother is one, the locker room is another one. Should boys be allowed in girl scouts and girls in boy scouts??

I realize that at young ages that they can play co ed sports, but why persue something which clearly has no place for women at a competitive level? There are SOOOO many things girls can do, as for me, my girls won't play on boys teams. There is a huge difference between playing on a coed team and on a boys team in my opinion.

6. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Actually, my oldest does play hockey and there are quite a few girls in the league. There were 2 girls on his team last year and they were not treated any different than the boys except for having a separate dressing room.

I think a tackle or body check in hockey even, is quite different. I teach all my children that violence is not a solution - we don't hit because we are angry, frustrated or not getting our own way.

A tackle is a different in that players are wearing protective equipment and they are trained in how to tackle (or "hit") the other player, just as the other player is trained in how to receive the tackle (or "hit"). They are not just sent out on the field and told to go attack one another.

I don't think any of the boys are going to get mixed messages having a girl on their football team.

Professional sports, in my opinion, is a different entity than a 10 year old girl wanting to play football.

Ummm, yes. My girls are in boy scouts and enjoy it much more than they ever did the girl scouts. They have a great time doing all the things their brothers do. What's wrong with that?

So because there is no competitive level football for women, the OP's daughter should just give up and not play a game she enjoys?

That's not a message I'd want to be sending any of my children in regards to sports. "Well, honey there's no chance that you could ever play this sport competitively, so don't even bother." My kids are involved in sports as a means of exercise, learning new skills, making friends and participating in something they enjoy. Obviously, we feel different about the role of
    sports for children.

7. Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3

Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3 Approved members

Jeesh

Maybe you should point out the Chicago Bears Quarter back Jay Cutler. I would mot certainly follow up on it. The school gets fed reduced food prices at the least which makes them accountable. (I think) I would however be concerned that he might not be helpful to her if an issue would come up.

8. Belinda

Belinda Approved members

Funny you should mention Jay Cutler, Hannah has a poster of various people that have diabetes, and Jay is one of them... right next to her Team Type 1 poster.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

And womankind takes one GIGANTIC step back...

If a person, no matter their gender, has the physical strength, ability, and drive to participate - then having female genitalia should not be the only disqualifying factor...

So says the WOMAN who broke the gender barrier in her career field in the Air Force - thank you very much.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, now, the difference here is that there is no girls' football team. So if she wants to play football, she plays with the boys. (And by the way, wouldn't the fact of her playing on the team make it a co-ed team???) There's no other option for her. We have had a female placekicker on our local high school team the past two years. She's darn good, and it would be a shame if her parents thought like you do.

I'd personally like to hear WHY a girl doesn't belong on a field where kids tackle one another. Are we too delicate and flowery as a gender?

My feeling is that if she's good enough to make the team, she's good enough to make the team. The mere fact of having a vagina does not make you inherently unable to compete successfully with the boys. :rolleyes:

11. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I think the poster who is talking about girls on boys teams isn't saying it for the sole reason of "girls have a vagina, they shouldn't be on the boys teams." She is talking about something deeper about how she raises her girls (it sounds like she raises them to be more gentler than a football-playing girl would be) and boys (to show a level of respect and defence for women in all situations). You may not agree with how she is choosing to raise her boys and girls, but she is not alone in raising her children in this way. Its not about "womens rights", its about how she is choosing to raise her children.

12. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Belinda, my son Steven collects Jay Cutler football cards. Awhile back we sent several of them out to Stevens CWD friends. We have lots left, if you would like your daughter to receive one PM me your address and we can send it right out:) I think Hannah sounds like a tough cookie and should be out there playing any sport that she wants to. We tell our kids that they can do anything and that is the absolute truth!

13. hawkeyegirl

Well, she can choose to raise her children however she wants, obviously. I think it's a dangerous thing to raise girls to be "gentler" than boys and mildly offensive to raise boys to "show a level of respect and deference for women in all situations," but more power to her if that's what she wants to teach her kids.

It seemed to me that she was speaking in general, however. Not just that HER girls won't be playing football, but that girls in general shouldn't be playing football. And that IS about women's rights.

ETA: Actually, "mildly" offensive isn't strong enough. "Quite" offensive is better, but I'll let my original wording stand.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  14. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Karla: And this is where we disagree. Just because a woman CAN (is allowed) to do something, still doesn't mean that she SHOULD. I do NOT think its dangerous to teach men to have respect and deference for women - I think that level of respect from men for women has been lost in our society.

15. hawkeyegirl

Why not? If that's too general, why shouldn't women play football?

I didn't say that was dangerous. I said it was offensive. I teach my kids to respect other people, without reference to their gender. THAT is what has been lost in our society. As for deference in all situations, why on earth should that happen? It implies that women NEED to be deferred to. That they're less than, weaker, not as capable. And I can assure you that I am none of those things, and I will not raise my daughter to be, either.

16. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Why does it have to be mutually exclusive? Can we not teach our boys to have respect and deference to women and still play rough and tumble with them on the field or rink?

17. hawkeyegirl

Or even leave out the deference entirely and just teach respect generally?

Look, all I'm advocating is that women have the CHOICE to do whatever it is that fires their rocket. If you (you generally) want to stay home and knit booties and do flower arrangements, go for it! I don't think you're a disgrace or a poor example or anything like it. But if you want to play football and join a poker league and go to a strip club, have at it. Neither makes you more or less a woman.

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

This is exactly what I heard as well! She came into a post asking about why D is interfering with the OP's daughter playing football. I am sure the OP didn't need another poster saying - why would you even let your girl play football. The OP had already made that decision. So to me, the post wasn't about how she is choosing to raise her daughters - it is stating her opinion that girls shouldn't even be allowed to play football at all...

There is nothing in the world that gets me madder quicker then hearing somebody say that I can't do something becuase I am a girl. I have set out to prove them wrong on more occasions then I can count - and along the way I have taught myself that I can do any damn thing I set my mind to...

And yes - this isn't about how she chooses to raise her daughters - the poster made very open generalizations about girls in general...

19. Lee

Lee Approved members

WHAT!!!! That is the biggest load of garbage I ever heard? Tell me one thing - one thing - that I CAN and am ALLOWED (I think I just vomited a little in my mouth typing that) to do but shouldn't?

WHY SHOULDN'T I?

What does my gender have to do with anything? And if you believe this is true - then what is a man not allowed to do just because he has a pair?

20. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Karla, I don't disagree with you at all. I was just asking the why.

As I said previously, my son plays hockey - with girls - on the rink they are just another player and treated as such. Off the rink, I teach my children to have respect for others as persons and to treat them as they themselves would like to be treated.

I'm not too sure I'm getting the semantic difference between respect and deference. :confused: