advertisement

Can school REQUIRE student to use BG logs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by MamaBear, Jan 30, 2017.

1. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Hello. I have not posted in a few years. I have a question. My son who is now 17 and all self managed, feels the logs at the school health office are useless in his daily management. I tend to agree based on two things, 1. The school has not provided me with copies of the logs in years, so if I need any info I look at his meter. 2.While I was working in the school health offices the past few years we barely even looked at them before filing them away. Today he was told by the new campus RN that he is REQUIRED to use them. Can they legally require him to fill out their logs? Or does he have the right to refuse? It seems a bit silly to me since he stays after for school activities and checks and treats when the health office and logs are not even accessible. Why require that lunch time number? Any thoughts or knowledge? Thanks in advance.

2. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I would ask her under what authority she is imposing that requirement.

I believe that there are OCR decision letters under Section 504 concluding that capable students have the right to self manage their T1D when and where they like (e.g., performing their own bg checks in the classroom). I would think that if you have the right to self manage, you would also have the right to maintain (or not) your own logs.

3. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

I don't see why a school should require a 17 year-old to keep a bg log that both you and your son deemed unnecessary.

My daughter wanted to self manage since 6th grade. She had demonstrated the ability to do so, and our doctor wrote a note that basic said she can self manage at school.

If you ask your son's endo to write up a doctor's note that he is to self manage at school, I think that should be good enough to override the campus RN's requirement.

4. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I agree. He self manages, even at after school events where no health aide or RN is present (his HS has both). So if he can do it then, why is that one entry for his lunch number important? It's just stupid really.

The thing too, this RN has been there for 2 weeks. He started school in August and today was the first day he filled out the log, because this new RN told him he had to. He did it but then sent a text to tell me what was happening. I don't get why it matters now. I don't believe he has used a log at school since he was in 8th grade. I work at a school next door to our district nurses office and I was tempted to walk next door and talk to her on my lunch break, but I wanted to be sure what I believe about his rights in this situation was correct before hand.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My response would be "oh hell no!" The only time my daughters have to log with the nurse is if they are in her office for some reason and they happen to test. She's required then to write it down.

I'd want to know under what/who's authority is she required to do this all of a sudden. He is 17, self managing. This is a waste of his time and hers. Plus, if he's on a CGM, it's capturing all the data. This is just pure craziness.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I'm guessing the school system has some kind of CYA policy for school nurses. Like if they don't have a record of what's going on with the kids they are responsible for, and something happens, maybe they could be liable.

The first couple of weeks of school, my daughter's nurse had her come in before lunch. She tested and the nurse logged it. After then, the nurse said, "Great, she knows what she's doing. I just wanted to get to know her a little in case she needed me. She doesn't need to come anymore."

There have been a couple of times I've called the nurse when Emma isn't responding to a Dexcom low (like yesterday). When Emma goes to the clinic, the nurse logs the number. It's also helped her to know Emma so that when she was acting weird a few weeks ago and the nurse got the call, she knew that something was wrong because she knew how well she managed herself.

So that was a long way of saying it may be part of the school system CYA for nurses. I would ask to see the school system policy that requires it and then see if they can. Last time I had an issue with the way the school was doing something, I asked for them to show me where in the school policy it said xyz... well, they said it was more of a "guidance" than a policy and that's when I told them where they could stuff their guidance.