- advertisement -

Can people with T1 Serve in the US military?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaBear, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

My son was out of work for about a year and during that time was at a job fair. He saw a booth for the FBI and was walking by it when he was approached saying that he looked like the type they were looking for. He told them that he didn't think that he could get a job with the FBI with type 1, and was told that it was not something that would disqualify him. He proceeded to apply and they did the background check, etc. Most people cannot pass the physical part of it without training hard first, and he still cannot run fast enough to pass. If he ever gets to the point that he can pass the physical stuff, he would go on from there. I think he still wants to prove to himself that he could do it, but I really hope he doesn't take a job with them because they never assign anyone in their home state he was told. Of course I would never tell him that!

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Oops, didn't mean military for that comment. I agree, those serve are doing it to serve their country. I meant firefighters/police officers for being in the front line.

As for if a T1 can be a police officer of firefighter, the article I read was when my daughter was first diagnosed, so that was 6 years ago. It has possibly changed.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

:) I admit I was wrong :)

But I also think it depends on the district, I know a Type 1 that became a cop...

4. Beach bum

No worries:cwds:

Yes, I do think it depends on district and level too. For example, it's possible, that somewhere like Boston might not allow T1 officers, but my little podunk town may. Again, as I said, the article that I saw was over 6 years ago, and possibly things have changed.

5. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Interesting responses. You know as far as I can recall, none of those other career choices were mentioned to us at all, just the military.

6. pancake111

pancake111 Approved members

I've read about people being kicked out of the army because they got diagnosed with diabetes while in the army. So I don't really think you can.

7. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

We were told at diagnosis that just about the only things T1s cannot do these days is serve in the military or become president. I guess that makes sense, since the president is the commander-in-chief of the military. I understand why it would disqualify them from combat and from some international bases, but I would love to see them be allowed to serve where & how they can.

8. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Great to hear because my DD has her eyes set on becoming a behavioral analyst with the FBI.

9. sooz

sooz Approved members

Why cant they be president? Im pretty sure my granddaughter Hailey could rule the world!! :cool::D:p;)

10. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

11. Beach bum

LOL! She'd have to run against my kid first.

Seriously though, why not? Look at Roosevelt, Kennedy, Eisenhower. All had medical conditions. Dick Cheney went in with a history of heart disease and had episodes while in office. Give them a CGMS to help in monitoring bg's closely , have a cde/endo on staff and I think a T1 can successfully hold office.

12. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

We were told at diagnosis that a person with type 1 cannot enlist in the military. I never looked in to it after that.

13. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

My kids just asked me this on 9/11, Noah was disappointed to to find out that he couldn't join.

14. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

My daughters good friend has a dad with Type 1 and he is a Police officer. He has had type 1 longer then he has been a police officer

15. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

dLife had a segment on a soldier who was diagnosed while serving, and while difficult, he got a waiver and proved he could be deployed to Iraq and was. It was an awesome segment. He wore a pump too!

ETA - just saw prior post with the YouTube clip.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  16. lynn

lynn Approved members

I have a brother who is a lt col in the army, currently heading up the withdrawal of troops in Iraq. I asked him about this and here is his reply:

Actually there are people with diabetes in the Army. I don't know all the particulars, but could find out. I do know of people deployed with diabetes

Anybody want particulars?

17. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The particulars were listed by a couple of the previous posters. A person who has Type 1 cannot enlist, but if dx'd after enlisting can continue to serve.

Diabetes is one of MANY medical conditions that prohibit someone from entering the military. One can request a waiver, but these are not easily given out.

18. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

I don't understand...if they can stay in the military...why can't they enter? What's the big difference? Am I missing something? (probably)

As for why they couldn't be president...I don't know (except as I said previously...maybe the military position that office holds?)...that's just what they told us in the hospital on dx. But, I doubt that person is a strong authority on the subject.

19. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Doesn't make sense to me either.

20. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No where is it written that a Type 1 cannot be elected to the Presidency. You were not given accurate information on this point.