- advertisement -

can I vent????

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lotsoftots, Jan 29, 2010.

1. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

Samantha has this friend who is d also sweet girl she is 11 years old dxd a little over 2 years ago..well my problem is her mama, we are also friends but sometimes I swear I would like to choke her..this little girl is dreaming of a pump ever since she seen Samanthas almost 2 years ago. Her mom first said no she didnt want her to have a pump because soon she would be coming in her teen years and would like to wear a bikini and a site would show..of course I had to tell and yes show her differently, then she would say I have to wait for my insurance deductible to be met, after that it was when my ex-hubbies insurance deductible is met..then its oh we dont have the extra money that the insurance wil not pay..but in the mean time she joined a gym, bought a new car, is going to Jamaica with her new hubby, always buying new clothes for her and the two kids, new cells I swear every other month for the kids since they either break or loose them all the time..I wouldnt be so upset if it wasnt for this little girl about every other month telling me I am getting a pump soon...I know she wont :( a month before Christmas she was so excited that she was getting a pump for Christmas and of course that fell through..today she told me that she will be getting her pump in a month..I asked her if they talked to a rep yet ( only asked because this time it sounded more positive like things were being done for a change) she said I dont know when they will meet but as soon as my dad does his insurance...
    WHY do they even say anything to this poor kid and get her hopes up....it makes me soooooooooooooooo mad:mad:the other thing that makes me upset is she is only 11 and everything is left up to her and I mean everything..its good that she knows what to do because she does go between two house, but this kid even has to tell her mom when to order her scrips..she is going to be burnt out soon
    ok I think I am done for now.
    praying that this time she really is going to get a pump.

2. Toni

Toni Banned

I always wonder what happens to Type 1 children whose parents are unfit (due to drug or alcohol abuse, or some other reason). This situation is not as bad but it is so sad. Her Mom can afford the pump. Sounds to me like the child wants a pump but the Mom is against it. Maybe Mom is still in denial in a way (child does all her own D care and Mom does not want to see the visible signs of diabetes, a pump). Maybe you can talk to the Mom again. I would wait a month or two. P.S. It could be the Mom is afraid to try something new. They are handling MDI (or her daughter is) and Mom does not feel up to starting pump therapy at this time.

3. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

I know you just wanted to vent and didn't ask for any advice. But I was just wondering if you are good friends with this woman, could you just ask her point blank if she ever intends on putting her daughter on the pump? Then tell her what her daughter is telling you and how hopeful she is? Sounds like this woman is a little clueless, and she might not realize that she is getting her daughter's hopes up only to dash them. The mom may be thinking that surely she wants the cell phones and trips to Jamaica and clothes, from her perspective who wouldn't want all that--who would want a pump instead? Know what I mean? She just may not realize exactly how important this is to her daughter, she may be over compensating with "stuff" because her little girl has to deal with D, she just needs to focus it better.

I could also be all wet too, who knows???;)

4. lotsoftots

I have tried talking to her about the pump, I told her how excited her dd was to be getting the pump..then her mama told me "oh that fell through" like it was no big deal, that was the Christmas one..oh and the trip is just mama and new hubbie no kids

5. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

Sorry, Debbie, the mom sounded clueless, now she just sounds heartless. I will put this little girl on our prayer list, that someway somehow she gets her pump.

6. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

It is just heartbreaking. I mean, my kid could care less about medical equipment. But to see her want it, even for Christmas, I just want to help you choke that mom! I had a mom that I think was very selfish. Maybe that is why this strikes such a nerve.

7. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

This is soooo sad. How could a parent do that to their own flesh and blood? If this woman is your friend she needs a good talking to. I know you don't want to say anything that would cause her to not let her child play with yours. Do you know the dad or ever see him to where you can express how much his child wants a pump? Sounds as though she is self absorbed.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  8. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

my heart goes out to that little girl

my dd wouldn't even know how to reorder her scripts. thats too sad

9. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

I would want to vent too, this is such a sad post! my dd is also 11 and I can't imagine her telling me that it was time to order her scripts, doing her own D care by herself, and running between two households to do it.

Is it that mom wants the ex to handle it? Or probably,more likely, she is scared of "the pump" with all the numbers and codes on it. It was intimidating for me too at first, since I'm not techy.

I guess it doesn't matter the reason, this sweet girl is not getting a pump.:( She is extraordinarily lucky that she has your daughter as a friend, that more than makes up for it. My dd would love to have a D friend too!

Praying for this girl that she is up to the journey, the teen years ahead...

10. sneakermom

sneakermom Approved members

I'm glad this little girl at least has you and your daughter for support. Such a sad, sad story.

11. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

That is so sad. To put that kind of responsibility on a child and then get their hopes up and then dash them, makes me mad. If she doesn't want to let her daughter pump, fine, but don't lead her on and get her hopes up. That is terrible. This mother needs a wake up call.

12. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

If she cant order scripts then how do you expect her to learn the many aspects of the pump? Wow.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It sounds like mom is totally wrapped up in her own world and refuses to let anything get in her way, including her childs well being.

14. Toni

Toni Banned

Hmmm, another thought..... Child has a father in her life actively involved? Not just the stepfather? You could talk to him. He may be a lot more receptive.

15. lotsoftots

I dont know her father, never met him