- advertisement -

Can I use novolog pen cartridge to fill for pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cgbphp, Oct 28, 2011.

1. cgbphp

cgbphp Approved members

We tried the novolog jr. pens after Hayden was diagnosed actually only used them for a week because he was running to high on the pen. I have several cartridges left and he is now on a pump can I fill his resevoir with the cartridge rather than the vial? If so does anyone know how to do this? He uses Sure Ts. I would really like to use them up because I don't want to waste them. Also I have been apperently filling his resevoir with to much insulin as I am wasting A LOT! But it seems I fill with way to much or way to little. We have only been pumping for 17 days so I am sure I will get the hang of it eventually

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I use penfills to fill my pump, easiest way is to attach to the penfill to the resevoir, and PUSH the insulin in with a chop stick or something of that nature, a lot less bubbles, and usually only 1 small on which is easy to get out.

3. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I've used humalog pens to refill pods.

I believe some folks draw the insulin out of the pen with a separate needle and then fill pump - but I just put the pen needle on the pen (just like when getting ready to use the pen itself), stuck it in the reservoir hole and filled directly using that. Pod rep and endo's office said it wasn't officially recommended to do that, but it worked just fine.

I didn't use all our pens though, so we have a couple on hand just for back-up if ever needed.

Do be careful if you use another needle to draw the insulin out of the pen - just be sure you mark that pen and only ever use it that way thereafter (if you poke a needle through the top of the pen to draw insulin, it can effect delivery if you then later put a pen needle on and try to use the pen as a pen.)

4. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Use it just like you would use a bottle, but DON'T push air into it or the rubber stopper will come out the end and you'll smell like bandaids all day--ask me how I know. :eek:

5. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Also, do not put air into the pen cartridge prior to withdrawing.

6. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Pushing works, you just need to watch what you're doing, I've over pushed once in 13 years of pumping, hopefully have learned my lesson.........:rolleyes:

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

And after using the pen to fill the pump, you can no longer use it as a pen; you have to draw out of it with a syringe.