- advertisement -

Can I get a dexcom into Canada?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shannong, Apr 4, 2013.

1. shannong

shannong Approved members

The Dexcom is not sold in Canada. Are there ways that I could possibly get one in the US and bring it to Canada? Anyone done that? I met a family at the CWD conference who got one in Holland (I believe), had it sent to the home of a relative there, and then brought it back to Canada.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just because it isn't yet approved for sale in Canada doesn't make it contraband :cwds:

You'd just need a US Dr to prescribe and then pay out of pocket.

3. shannong

shannong Approved members

I more wanted details of the logistics - where would I find a doctor, who would it get sent to, etc. Just wondering if anyone has ordered it from another country and the exact process of how they obtained it. Also, if I needed customer support if I can receive it in Canada.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

when we looked into getting the enlite sensor while in South Africa we made some calls to SA friends in the medical profession, found one who would prescribe it. Had we gone through with it we would have had them shipped to the Dr and we would have paid via credit card and picked them up in person. I suspect the whole thing would hinge on knowing a Dr willing to help, or asking your endo for a name.

5. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

There is a Canadian woman on here whose name is Natalia who has one for her child. I cannot find her screen name, though, and she has disappeared from another group she used to be on. I hope that if she is still around she will jump in!

We're in CT at the moment but will certainly be home to Toronto over the summer. If that would help in any way, feel free to let me know!

6. skimom

skimom Approved members

Ask your endo or GP if they know any colleagues in the states and if they could arrange it for you. Of course, it probably will not be something you can claim on insurance or a health spending account as it is not government approved.

7. typeoneX2

typeoneX2 Approved members

I was close to doing this and DexCom was a big help. Just give them a call.

I live in Vancouver, so I was going to head accross the line to get the Prescription and get the supplies shipped there.

I decided to wait and get the Animas Vibe with the Dexcom built in (whenever it is released) or with the Veo with the new Enlite sensors if I can't wait. I think I might go with the Veo as they have a big promotion right now.

8. moco89

moco89 Approved members

As for customer support, they will not ship to you if you do not have a US address. Don't admit to being a Canadian living in Canada. If they ask why you called on an "international number" just say you are on vacation.

I would use some sort of US "mail forwarding service" to pull it off, if your Dexcom ever failed. Basically you would have a US address given to you by some sort of company, they get the box, repackage it, and send it to your "actual address". I would do this while still in the US getting an RX.

UPS can do this.

UPS post box

What is the difference between a mailbox at The UPS Store and a PO Box at the post office?

With a mailbox at The UPS Store, you get a real street address, not a P.O. Box number. If you?re a business owner, having a real street address as your mailbox can provide you with a professional image for your business. The UPS Store also offers many additional services that the post office does not, services like package acceptance from all carriers, package notification and Call-in MailCheck?, all aimed to save you valuable time.

Can You Forward My mail if I am away?

Yes. The UPS Store offers mail-forwarding services for mailbox holders. The representatives at The UPS Store can forward your mail to you, anywhere you are. Additional charges may apply.

How to get a UPS mailbox

9. moco89

moco89 Approved members

OP, you will need to get an RX from a US doctor.

On the forms that need to be filled out by the doctor in order to get a Dexcom, they ask for various numbers from the doctors in the US, that are only relevant in the US.

I know on the Navigator (Abbott) CGM, they asked my endocrine nurse practitioner for an NPI number. She didn't even know that number and she had to look it up. Pretty much all medical doctors (of all specialties) have the numbers needed for getting a Dexcom.

I guess the first step to getting an RX for the Dexcom is to call the US number (via skype, if not on your regular phone) and ask them to email you the forms that your doctor needs to fill out. (I would not rely on dexcom.com to get all of that info)

Next, you need to look for nearby US doctors that you could possibly work with you (via the internet) to get an RX. Do some correspondence via email and make sure to emphasize that there will be no insurance involved (keeps ethical situations out of the picture) and that you are Canadian. Find somebody who will work with you. It could even be an internal medicine doctor or a pediatrician (which would be cheaper than seeing an endocrinologist). You just need a prescription.

When it comes to appointment time, make sure you have proof of type 1 diabetes (from medical records) and endocrine medical records in general. Also, have ample blood glucose logs. Just do it to be safe, to avoid any sort of uneasiness or ethical concerns.

10. momofone

momofone Approved members

Since you wouldn't be going through insurance, all you need is a prescription that states "dexcom system and sensors" and have it faxed by a US doc to Dexcom and then pay out of pocket. That is what we did. Even if you get a system from the UK, you still need a prescription for the sensors. We started using ours in December and I have an address in the US where the sensors and the system were shipped to and I just drive over and grab them. They never give me a hard time at the border either. If you contact Dexcom they should be able to get you in contact with the rep in the US that is closest to you. They may even recommend a "Dexcom friendly" doctor who is familiar with the system and write the prescription. Even a walk-in clinic doctor would be able to help you - or a nurse practitioner or even a physician's assistant.