- advertisement -

Can anyone help with these thyroid numbers?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Lisa P., Jun 17, 2010.

1. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Please ignore if you're sick of seeing me post threads about this! :cwds:

Middle daughter finally tested and I have the numbers. I still think there's a thyroid problem underlying all this. Two doctors think I'm nuts -- symptoms don't match, tsh is too normal, it's worth testing again but not worth putting her on medication.

TSH -- 1.46 (range is .34 to 4.82)
    Free T4 -- .73 (range is .77 to 1.61)
    Total T3 -- 135 (range is 93 to 219)

Any thoughts at all?

2. madde

madde Approved members

Those numbers look really good to me.

If you are convinced she is symptomatic, then it wouldn't hurt to have her tested again over the next few months to compare numbers.

When I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, my first TSH test was within range ( a little elevated) but, my doctor & myself was pretty certain that my symptoms was related to thyroid issues. He continued to test my TSH over the next 3 months. My third TSH was around 8 and I was officially diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I still don't know if I have the autoimmune type or not, but was told it didn't matter....

3. TEXSONMOM

TEXSONMOM Approved members

I agree those numbers look fine for a girl her age.
    What are her symptoms?
    The free T4 (low for hypo) is a little low but so is the TSH (higher for hypo) so it is worth having it checked again in 4-6 months.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm not a thyroid expert, but any means, but I am hypothyroid so I've done a bit of research into the blood tests / results and exactly what they mean.

According to this:
    So I don't think the fact that her T3 is normal necessarily means that she is not hypothyroid. But obviously, there is no evidence pointing to her being hypothyroid either. At this point, I would be pushing for antibody tests (TPO antibodies and anti-thyroglobulin antibodies). If they come back high, it would indicate that there is something autoimmune going on against her thyroid. Some doctors will treat based on antibodies and symptoms. Mine didn't; I had to wait until the numbers matched up (it only took 2 months, and my numbers were right in line with the symptoms). I wish he'd treated me when I first had the symptoms, a 3.96 TSH, and high antibodies, though. I might actually have felt better a bit faster. :rolleyes:

5. Chaser

Chaser Approved members

My daughters numbers always came back in "normal" range. But, when they tested her for antibodies her number was slightly elivated. Endo explained it could have been much higher and now on the way down as she is developing or on the way up. Any way, he started her on a "low" dose of synthroid (50mg). He stated this would help preserve thyroid function for as long as possible. We will see. When she has gone in for follow up blood work her numbers are in range. However, she has gained a bit of weight since starting on synthroid in Jan. All of the original testing was trying to get to the cause of her migraines or at least keep them to a minimum. We are still searching.....

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I agree.. my thyroid disease was "sub-clinical" for a long time.. it was clear I was developing Hashimoto's well before I had any abnormal labs other than the antibodies. I ultimately went hyper before ever going hypo.

7. madde

madde Approved members

Hmmm...that's interesting, because my daughter is exhibiting signs of hypothyroid but her last tsh was below 1. I never thought about having the antibodies checked, but I had taken her to our family physician who never mentioned that either. I think I'm going to look into this a little further as Lisa is with her daughter.

her symptoms are cold sensitivity (when everyone else is feeling comfortable),
    insomnia which started a few weeks ago. She has a hard time falling asleep at night. The other night she didn't fall asleep unti 3:30am:confused:
    I felt so bad for her, she was exhausted the next day, came home that evening at fell asleep until 10pm. Ummm lets see...she is irritable, gaining a little weight, but don't know if that is related. I think it is though. Her hair is a little course, but could be from the chlorine. The two that have be stumped the most are the cold sensitivity and the insomnia.

Anyhow, the low tsh level just left me believing it couldn't be a thyroid issue.

8. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Thanks for the help.

I'm sure part of this is just me wanting to have an answer.

This new pediatrician is going to test for antibodies, too. That should make things clearer, right?

My last big "hunch" was hypoglycemia, which still seems likely (hurts a lot two hours after a meal, does better with lower and complex carb eating and frequent eating, kills her to have a high carb meal, looks "low" when she's hurting) but I'm thinking that's a secondary effect of the thyroid.

Thank you.

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Isn;t reactive hypoglycemia a first sign of thyroid issues?? can't remember but I say a refernece to this in an post to Emme, let me see if I can find it.

10. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Well, that's the trail I was following, but I don't know if I'm right to. I asked awhile back about reactive hypoglycemia, and a lot of what she's doing fit really well and a lot didn't. We have followed an eating course since then that would be how we'd behave if we thought she had hypoglycemia, and I think it helps. But she's still sick most all the time (just not as sick all the time). Then I found out she'd never been tested for thyroid, had them test and saw the one low number, and now I'm convinced she's getting hypoglycemia symptoms from thyroid problems.

I am definitely influenced by my experience with Selah, where I knew there was a medical problem but got hints about it being behavioral, or needing the ween, or teething. So I'm not inclined to automatically believe a "Hmm, that number is strangely low, but I doubt she's got a thyroid issue. . . have you tried giving her a tums?" sort of advice. :rolleyes: At the same time, the doctors are really trying hard and I don't want to disrespect them or disregard good information from them.

So, as always, I come here for my answers. .:rolleyes:

11. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

how's her growth?
    My nephew was just dx'd with hypothyroid after he didn't grow in a year, but put on 10lbs. Not a bunch of other symptoms and his tsh was 800---yes, that high, not a typo:eek:

12. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Have you sought the help of a naturopath or even a...well, the best translation I can find is a physiotherapist. I'll explain.

Here we have "kinesitherapie" - basically physiotherapy, but a really good one can also point out to underlying physical problems. Example: I sought a "physiotherapist" a few years ago because my back was killing me. I couldn't sit, walk, stand up without pain. So, a friend of mine recommended a physiotherapist (who happens t work with the national handball team here <<<< that's for the "Oh, so he's legit." thing.).

He checked me out, did a few body manipulations, then asked me when I had had a car accident. I told him I never had one. He did a few more manipulations. Then asked me if I was sure that I was not in a car accident. I said no again and asked why. He said because my right arm and left part of the upper body were misaligned. I told him I didn't walk correctly, but he insisted on the car accident.

Anyway, I get home and call my friend and basically complained about him, and how I thought he was a charlatan. She was surprised and asked me why, because she thought he was great. I told her about the car accident thing, and she told me "But you did have a car accident 3 months ago.":eek:

I had blocked the accident. I was not "hurt" in it, but I did violently tried to control the stearing wheel with my right arm and my body was pushed to the left, all the while while the car literally spinned out of control on the highway during rush hour and finally stop 500 metres farther up. I basically thought that was my last day on Earth.

I went back to the guy and told him that and continued the manipulations, and it helped SO much.

LONG story (sorry about that), but I really wanted to give you the idea of seeking a different route, which will probably bring you to your first suspicion of a thyroid issues.

PS - Nope, I am not into all the esoteric stuff (although I do have a small Buddha at my entrance hall:p), but I do know what has worked for me.

13. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I've considered it, in fact I worked with an MD and dietician who were great about looking at food to fix it. But I became convinced that there was an underlying medical condition besides allergies. If, for example, she does have Hashimoto's, I really need to follow the normal paths to get her diagnosed and get her on synthroid, since there are no natural alternatives to thyroid hormones (like there aren't any for insulin :().

I have a good friend who suggested L-tyrosine. It's an amino acid that the thyroid uses, so I figured it might help her if her thyroid was just impaired. It seemed to help a lot -- a LOT -- but then not so much. Which could easily be the feedback loop the body does, or it could have meant we were seeing a placebo effect.

But I'll tell you, when I mentioned to the doc that this helped, in support of my argument that it was thyroid, I got an awfully uncomfortable pause. . . . I can't afford to lose credibility with the pediatrician, so I won't be doing that again!

Oh, and BTW, Paula -- you were the one who mentioned thyroid about 11 months ago, I told you the doctors had ruled that out becuase they told me they had. They had actually NEVER tested for it. So if it winds up being thyroid, I owe you the adult beverage of your choice. Big time.

14. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

There has been no weight gain at all, she is skinny, that's my main reason for thinking I'm all wet on this.

But we've had no comparisons on height, etc. I don't have records, I don't know if I can them, and I'm afraid my memory is far too subjective. Hope your nephew is feeling much better now.