- advertisement -

Camp Setebaid or Camp Nejeda

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by minniem, Mar 19, 2014.

1. minniem

minniem Approved members

Does anyone have any experience good or bad about these camps? We are looking at summer camps for my son and these are our top 2 choices. He did do a camp last year for a week and did well. It was a smaller camp and we are looking at bigger camps this year. Feel free to PM me too if you don't want to post publicly.

Thanks!

2. dshull

dshull Approved members

Our son is 9 and is going to the one week session at Nejeda this summer. We went to family camp there last summer to test it out and I really can't say enough wonderful things about it. My husband and I both went to overnight camp as kids, so we knew we wanted him to definitely go somewhere. We looked at Setabaid and the ADA camp as well. I am sure they are all great, but we really liked Nejeda the best. Nejeda is a d camp all the time - when they're younger, they can go for one week, older kids go for two. They have family camp, camp where your kids can bring a friend, a weekend for kids about to go to college, etc. The other camps use another camp's facility for one week and Nejeda is for d kids year round and that really meant something to me. We really felt like it was a camp where he could grow and get more independent over the years and most importantly have fun. The counselors we met had all been campers there for years and were AMAZING and everything I hope my son is in ten years - fun, independent, and totally rocking their diabetes every day. The parents could not stop asking the counselors how they turned out so great and were doing so well and they all said, "our parents sent us here every summer." Within the first hour of family camp our son said "next time I'm coming here without you guys!" Can you tell I could go on and on?!?

3. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

We did Family Camp twice at Camp Nejeda and had a great time.

DD has no desire to go to camp overnight on her own, but if she did, I would not hesitate to send her there. Like PP said, everyone we met there was wonderful.

4. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

My son did Setebaid for several years and adored the counselors.

My understanding is that they are having internal issue with management right now, and many of the great people we know and love have left to form Keystone Diabetic Kids Camp.
    http://campvictory.org/news/keystone-diabetic-kids-camp/

5. minniem

minniem Approved members

Thanks for the replies. If there are any more please keep them coming. We probably will be finalizing our decision in the next month or so. :smile: