- advertisement -

Callus'd fingers

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by VinceysMom, Dec 10, 2011.

1. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Vince seems to favor a few fingers to check BG and they are pretty "tough" now.. is there anything that we can put on them to "help" with that?

Thanks,
    Kathy

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've personally never had this problem (I use the Multiclix, change my lancet... very nowhere near enough, and check on only 2 of my fingers - definitely not perfect habits!) but if I did, I'd use some kind of moisturiser or cream containing vitamin E.

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Rotate, rotate, rotate. Aquaphor at night.

4. rtjlolson

rtjlolson Approved members

We use vitamin E on my son's fingers when they get rough. We poke a hole in the vitamin E pill and squeeze the gel inside onto his fingers. We also use it on his pump sites when we rotate to the other side.

5. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Connor's fingers tend to have rough spots if I don't remind him to use a different finger! I have found the Gold Bond lotion works really well if put on at night after a bath or shower. His fingers heal very quickly thank goodness:)

6. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I rub some Vitamin E on Bobby's fingers after night checks while he's sleeping, once a week or so, and it works wonders for us. I don't buy the capsules, I found just a bottle of Vitamin E oil at Walmart (might have been CVS, but I think it was Walmart). I think it was around $20 but a little goes a longggg way so it'll last us a year easy.

7. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I bought a fairly smooth pumice stone that my son will use (maybe weekly) to scrub off the rough spots when his skin is soft after a shower.

Then he puts Vitamin E oil before bed. (It's sticky, so he'll wear cotton gloves on nights he puts the oil on.)

But, since he changed to the Delica lancets, the problem seems to be almost totally gone.

8. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

My daughter favors one finger as well. I use the others for nighttime checks and they look fine. I try to change the MultiClix each morning at breakfast and rotate whenever I check her at night.

However, I have decided that her fathers and brothers have callused fingers from playing guitar. So why fret over callused fingers. It's part of her life.

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Sometimes we use Neutrogena hand cream - a tiny dab is enough, and let one hand rest from testing overnight, then do the other hand the next night.

Rotate, use alternate test areas - base of thumb, forearm, toes...

We use the Multiclix as well.