- advertisement -

Calling all experts!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TimO, Feb 20, 2010.

1. TimO

TimO Approved members

Is there any chance we'll see a non-invasive glucose monitor? My little boy's fingers look like a warzone, and d would be so much easier if we could simply pass a monitor over the skin and check real-time blood glucose. I know I'm dreaming, but wouldn't it be great to be able to do finger pokes as many times as we want by waving an infrared monitor over the skin? The pessimist in me knows the pharmaceutical companies make billions on strips, so this won't be a reality. However, I read a year ago that a group of scientists in Hong Kong had supposedly developed a non-invasive blood glucose monitor that was over 80% accurate, then never heard another word about it. I guess they got a big check from "somebody" to keep their new technology quiet. (Sorry, having a pity party today)

2. timsma

timsma Approved members

I'm no expert, but my son was diagnosed at age 2 and is now nearly 16 so he's had his share of finger pokes over the 14 years. So while I have years of experience, I don't know the answer to that. I used to hope for the same thing though, and have found that we only have our son poke his finger a couple times per day now that he is on the Navigator. It's so accurate that we finally let him stop checking so often and we dose by the readings the cgm gives him. We couldn't do that with the MM cgm though. It was WAY too inaccurate to trust for us. So while there isn't an ifrared system out there yet, there is something that can reduce the number of finger pokes available (at a price though of course).

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

I haven't been to an "urgent care" clinic in a while but I went recently and one of the things they did was put an O2 sensor over my finger. The first thing I thought of was "can they make one of these for glucose?".

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

There are clinical trials in MA about a glucose monitor that uses your ears.. there is no pricking of the skin.. a slight pinch of the ear and it gets a reading.. we got a call for Kaylee to participate but she wasn't 7 yet.. she turns next saturday, so I'll be calling next week for the clinical trials.

5. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Ooh, send them my number, Alex is 7.

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

I dont know the answer to your question, but many posters have said that the Tiniboy lancets are very much easier on their little ones. Here is a link to them http://www.tiniboy.com/ We still use the multiclix though..which has been much better for us than the traditional lancet we started with. I hope they discover something soon!

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

A number of non-invasive ways to monitor glucose levels have been under development for years, but I don't know how likely it is that they will ever make it to market.
    Here's a comic that I like on the topic:

[​IMG]

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

They are actually looking for more kids.. When I find the info (I tucked it away somewhere :rolleyes:) I'll send it on to you.:)

10. Toni

Toni Banned

Send away for the Tiniboy lancets; they are new, smallest gauge. Some have been having trouble getting blood but one Mom just posted her success with the tiniboys.... One touch lancet? (check this; it's a recent post) and setting of 5. Before you get the Tiniboys make sure you are using the 33 guage lancets. Never had success with the arms but most people have no trouble trying the forearm. And I think you can use toes. We use Vitamin E oil squeezed from the capsules on her fingers, vaseline, Burt's Bees and other treatments. If I had a real aloe vera plant, I think that would work wonders; hard to find these days.

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Have you tried his arms? We do about half and half...

12. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Is it as accurate with arms? I thought that was kind of like doing temps under your arm rather than under tongue...

Please elaborate!!

13. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

me too... I would so interested.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Here is another example of non-invasive technology being developed to test blood glucose. It's currently being trialled in one UK hospital, since March of '09.

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've used forearms for years - CDE is fine with it - random comparisons show little to no difference in the meter readings and as an added bonus forearms are generally cleaner than fingers ;)

16. TimO

TimO Approved members

This is great info for all of us to share. We use the Multiclix and like it, but find we're still squeezing those fingers on setting 2.5 to get enough blood. I'm just worried about the nerve endings in the fingers poking 10+ times a day after 5+ years We use the AccuCheck Aviva meter - don't know how accurate it is on the forearm, but would try there if others have had success. Others had success with the Tinyboy lancet over Multiclix?

17. Heather(CA)

Arms are only about 10 minutes behind fingers while insulin is working, once it's gone it's VERY close. So, if it's been less than three hours since his last shot/bolus. We will test his fingers for better accuracy. But if it's been three hours or more and the insulin is done, then Ihe just tests his arm. There is very little difference by that point.

In other words. If it's less than three hours we test fingers, but if it's been three hours or longer the forearm is very accurate.

After a low, we test his arm too. If he is good on his arm, then he is for sure good on his finger because he would have been brought up sooner on his finger. Does that make sense? On the other hand, if I test his arm and he's not quite up. I will test his finger before giving him anything else in case he has already come up on his finger :cwds:

Here's A great trick for bedtime. Seth's target at bedtime is over 100. Lets say I test his arm and he's 103. That's pretty close, so then I will test his finger just to be safe. Because the finger is 10 minutes faster, I can tell whether he's headed up or down. If he's 95, I give him some milk, if he's 103 or above, I let it go. Does that make sense?:D It works GREAT!

If your not sure, try it...It REALLY helps their fingers big time.:D

BTW, we have been doing arms for almost 7 years now...Since dx'd.

18. Heather(CA)

Yep, yuo don't have to wash the forearms:D

I've been thinking about it, I think we do arms more like 75% of the time...

19. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

My daughter has used forearms exclusively for about 3-4 years. But instead of having the black dots on her fingertips, she has dots on her forearms. For some reason, this now bothers her, plus the fact that she is mostly wearing long sleeves right now, so she switched to her palm below the thumb.

I don't really think there is a delay or inaccurate readings from place to place.

20. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Okay so, dumb dumb Q - WHERE on the forearm do you do it? Can you tell me where it's less likely to hurt?