- advertisement -

Calculating Carbs to raise low bg

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KHM, Aug 28, 2012.

1. KHM

KHM Approved members

Hi everyone---I've been quiet for a LONG time; I think its called lurking :p

Our school nurse has asked for specific quantities of fast carbs to raise Lindsay's bg a specific amount. I'd heard of other parents doing so but I've always estimated. What she's looking for is something like this:

BG ; Grams Carbs
    50 - 60 mg/dl ; 16
    60 - 70 mg/dl ; etc.

Can anyone share their experience with making these calculations?

Thanks!
    KHM

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I sat down one day to see how much raise in BG we would see with a certain amount of carbs. Looking at the log for about 10 typical lows I could see that after 20 min a treatment would raise her a certain amount. Then I divided to come up with 1 gram of carb raises her 8 BG.

Now whenever I want her to be higher I just divide the amount of raise I want by 8.

It works very well - almost to within about 5 BG. I understand it depends mostly on weight so this should be pretty standard for any child of about 65 lbs.

3. steph

steph Approved members

sorry i can't be of much help. the amout that carbs raise DDs BG varies by time of day and how fast or slowly her BG is dropping (which we don't know bc we don't have a CGM) So sometimes 4 carbs might raise her 50 points, sometimes over 100 points. Plus there's the 20% margin of error in the meter reading. I have tried keeping track when I treat lows to see how much a set number of carbs raise BG, but it is always a completely different number with no common ammount.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If you think that your pump setting are good then you could do a reverse calculation.

Take target bg, IE 120 and minus low bg #, IE 70. 120-70=50
    take that calculation and divide by ISF setting, IE 150. 50/150=.33
    take that calculation and multiply by I/C ratio, IE 25. .33*25=8.25

that number is the amount of carbs to get you back to your target of 120

5. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

For pumpers with variable basal rates, it will also depend on the basal rate in effect. Unfortunately, a lot of times we have to wing it.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It only depends on your basal rates if they're wrong.

Steph is correct in that it depends on whether she's rising, holding steady, or falling. It is strongly correlated with weight. My son weighs 85 pounds, and we use 6-7 points per carb as an estimate.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If I do not use her pump to calculate a correction either way then I wing it using 8bg points per carb. My dd weighs 55lbs.