- advertisement -

C-peptide levels

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DiabeticMom, May 3, 2012.

1. DiabeticMom

DiabeticMom New Member

Hi all,

My name is Megan and I am 31 years old and live in So CA with my husband and 2 children (Aubrey is 5 and Jordan is 2). I have had Type 1 diabetes for 20 years and wear a pump. My uncle and sister also both have Type 1 as well.

We noticed last weekend that our 2 year old was drinking a lot of water after meals (requesting his sippy cup to be filled up 2-3x a meal which was odd). I did a quick blood sugar on him 2 hours after eating and he was 217. I retested and it was 165 (a bit of a big range so I used a new machine that had him at 192 and then 176). I tested him a few more times in the next few hours and his number dropped to the 140's and then 100. I spoke with his pediatrician the next day and because of our family history and the fact that his post meal numbers were a bit high, she ordered a fasting blood sugar, A1C and c-peptide. His fasting was normal (74), A1C was normal (5.5) but his c-peptide was borderline low (0.4 with the labs range being 0.4-3.99). She said she wasn't sure what to make of it especially with a normal fasting but referred us to a peds endo.

I'm hoping the slightly elevated sugars I got on him were a fluke (or margin of error in the machine perhaps) and that the c-peptide being borderline low is ok but I'm a bit concerned since we do have a strong family history. I am hoping that if we are perhaps catching Type 1 before it even starts, we can enroll him in some of the studies going on to perserve pancreas function or even delay the onset of Type 1. Any insight? Anyone here had their childrens c-peptide levels checked? Thanks so much!

Megan
    Type 1 x 20 years
    Pumper x 16 years
    Mom to Aubrey (5) and Jordan (2)

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I beleive that in order to get a good C-peptide test thay should not be fasting. It is sort of like insulin with levels that go up and down depending on glucose levels, so fasting would be like a basal level not a glucose load level which is what you need to know.

You can look into Trail net if you woupd like to participate in research and possible trials for your children. My dd is being followed and is in the oral insulin trial.

3. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Hi - yes, I recently had Andy's c-peptide checked and his was also .4. He has Permanent Neonatal Diabetes, dx at 10 months old and we were wondering if he might still be making insulin. He's had diabetes for 7 years now and they do think his body makes some insulin, but it's nothing regular and he needs insulin everyday just like a Type 1 diabetic but we see some crazy shifts in insulin needs. I would definitely be confused with the .4 c-peptide, but normal fasting BS and A1C. I hope the high numbers you got were a fluke!

4. Tyggirl

Tyggirl Approved members

I hope you find answers Megan!