- advertisement -

Buying Test Strips From Amazon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wearingtaci, Nov 16, 2012.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Our insurance is terrible and wont pay for enough test strips for us to make it through the month. Amazon has far and away the best price for the strips. Is there any difference then picking them up at the local chain store?

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Several of the meter companies have programs where they will pick up the difference between your copay so that your OOP is $15. I know Accu-chek has this, and we really like their meter for its better accuracy. We can't use the $15 program, though, because we're supposed to get everything through mail-order. It works at local pharmacys.

3. lizzie

lizzie Approved members

Have you talked to your endos office about this? Usually doctors are able to send a form to your insurance requesting an override for the normal limit of strips per month. Especially early on, it is important to have extra strips. You don't want to have to worry about testing often and then running out. Your endos office might also be able to give you some extras in the meantime.

4. wearingtaci

her endo only wants us to us One Touch meter and we don't qualify for there plan because we do have prescription insurance,it just sucks
    We have an end appt early next month early next month and see about over riding these ridiculous limits for test strips.
    In the meantime I guess we're footing the bill

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

Find out what strips your insurance has the best coverage for. If it is different than what your Endo likes , then too bad, tell your endo that you have to use that type of strip because of your insurance. If the issue is the number then you need to have your Endo write a letter of Medical necessity exception for the number of strips you need. Your insurance will cover the number your Doc says you need. The type of strip is not really critical. Your Endo should be well aware of how to handle the insurance stuff to get you what you need. :) Ali

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Can I ask in all sincerity why your endo cares what meter you use? If you insurance has a preference and/or YOU have a preference, then they need to accomodate that, you don't need to pay extra for a preference of your MDs, you are the one paying them!

We've tried at least 4 different meters through the years, and each time there was a need for a switch in strip prescriptions I simply emailed and told them what I needed. Never been a problem, they always update what I need.

Your endo works for you, bottom line, so tell them what you need. Also ask them for samples at every appointment, that has helped me get a bit of a supply built up, they normally have drawers full of samples packs of strips. Ask them also to make sure the RX is written for 8-10x tests per day, that way you'll get what you need in a month's time without having to buy extra.

7. wearingtaci

I never thought about that. He said about downloading the data from the meters so I assumed they needed specific software.
    We are new to all of these any just trying to work through it one day at a time

8. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

My insurance is terrible as well and an endo's note for override only allows the pharmacy to dispense more, I still pay out of pocket for strips over 153 a month! I buy from ebay all the time, send the receipt to insurance which goes under our durable medical and reduces the deductible, pump supplies are the same way. We too use One Touch, it works with the pump.

My husband and I were talking about this very thing today. If our Dr. wrote a prescription for a narcotic we could get as many as the Dr. ordered with no question (we don't have any prescriptions for narcotics) but, test strips we fight about every month, our insurance will look back 90 days, we are allowed 450 in 90 days. Our prescription is for 350 a month. We used about 50 strips in less than 3 days last week due to a severe stomach bug with ketones. I don't even want to get started on ketone strips....they are not covered at all!

Sorry, bet this wasn't helpful at all :rolleyes:

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It seems it's his own personal preference, and it's the cables he has at his office. All meters are downloadable, it may just mean they need X cable and software for X meter, but all they have to do is contact a rep for those.

He works for you, you don't work for him. Tell him insurance covers x,y,z strips so you have to go with one of those. There is no reason for you to have to pay for strips when insurance covers them. If he insists, tell him "fine, but you can pay for them!"