- advertisement -

Bus rides...this is why your child has to have supplies and snacks with them

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Today, our bus got into a minor fender bender. Everyone is ok.
    What was usually a 15 min bus ride turned into a 1 hour 15 min adventure (if you ask my kids).
    Kids were not allowed to leave the bus until the police interviewed every one of them, so this bus sat and baked in the sun for a very long time. A recipe for disaster for kids who are really sensitive to heat with their bg's.

Just a reminder that it's so important to have an emergency supply in your childs backpack and to lay down the law with the bus company that your child will eat if necessary.

2. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

Wow! Glad everything turned out okay.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

This is one of the reasons my son carries his cell phone in his backpack. He doesn't turn it on unless it's an emergency. This happened once to us a few months back and I was able to go pick him up.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

yikes, glad everyone is OK! Our normal bus ride is about 5min.. but there have been times that its been over a half hour.. at that time of day Kaylee has a ton of active insulin.. it can lead to issues really fast.

5. spamid

spamid Approved members

Scary, and a great reminder! Glad they were okay.

6. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

We have had issues with buses (they use same bus for HS, middle, THEN elementary) and Zach always has snacks, we even have it written into his 504 plan that if the bus is going to be more than 20 min late, they call us. I guess if we had a situation like yours, we would go meet the bus if I had to.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We are lucky because the nurse will always call if she is below 120 and tell me how much IOB she has. She will always have her have an uncovered snack. We are both of the mindset, be safe now, we can correct later.

8. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

After insulin and snacks, a cellphone is an absolute necessity.

9. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Our bus director allowed us to have a ziploc bag with juice, crackers,gel, a picture of Abbey with her name and my cell phone number. This bag was taped to the back of the driver's seat. This was in case Ab forgot her backpack.

10. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Great idea. And even thought dd always has glucose/ and crackers with her, we have done something similar since Kindergarten, except that our plastic "bus bag" is kept at the bus garage and gets taken on dd's bus route each run.

The garage supervisor explained to me this was because sometimes they have to switch buses (for maintenance, or whatever) and that way whatever bus driver will be going on Dd's route picks up.

Our ziplock bags each have a 4-pack of Pb crackers, small juice box, a roll of gluco tabs, and instaglucose, along with a 3" x5" double sided diabetes ID with info and my cell number.