- advertisement -

Bus ride home....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by vallecito93, Dec 7, 2007.

1. vallecito93

vallecito93 Approved members

Hi everyone, We are still kinda new to the world of D, but I was wondering if I am being out of line wanting my daughter to have a snack on her bus ride home even if she is only 20 minutes from me. What happened was I requested that Autumn have her snack on the bus because she has P.E. right before that and I am always afraid she will run low. She has lunch an hour or so before P.E. and I don't want her to get too high, so I requested it after when she has time to settle down. The bus monitor was very rude and negative to my other daughter telling her that her sister (Autumn) could not have a snack on the bus. Aspyn explained that I had sighned a note requesting this and the bus monitor told her that she still could not eat on the bus. Anyway I have since cleared that up with the bus driver and she is now allowed to have her snack. Is this something that happens all the time? The school itself has been great with our health plan, but the bus is a different story. Thanks for your thoughts.

2. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

yes it is for safety reaon such as choking that eating on bus is not allowed children who do it because of diabetes are to be sitting in seat where driver can see them i think at first we all come across the eating on bus situation with or diabetic children its so frustrating

3. sevans

sevans Approved members

I bought Jacob some tubes of icing (about 15) grams each. I am going to let him carry one in his backpack in case he ever feels low on the bus. It is not the bus driver I am worried about though. I found out today that the school nurse leaves the school at 130pm. The secretary at the school put Jacob on the bus when he was 64. I just found out about it today. Jacob said she gave him a snack and told him to eat it and go get on the bus because he was going straight home anyway.:eek: I understand exactly how you feel b/c even though he is only on the bus for about 20-30min. there is always that chance that a low may not come up or the bus will break down. I think the Secretary was really irresponsible and each day I am growing more and more unhappy with the school nurse. But that is another story. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the rant...:eek:

My point was going to be that maybe something like a tube of icing (one of the small ones) might be a solution to your problem. It is highly unlikely that she would choke on icing and if she feels low it will bring her up quickly.

4. vallecito93

Thanks, that is a great idea. That is very irresponsible of the secretary and they should have a back up plan or someone trained to take the nurse's place until school is out. What about the other kids that may need a nurse.... Sorry.. I can feel your frustration!

5. sevans

sevans Approved members

Glad I helped. I am going to use the weekend to calm down then I will address the situation next week. It is really frustrating.

6. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

I second Sonya's suggestion of the icing, and I do not think you are being unreasonable at all. Our dc's sugars can change rapidly in that amount of time, I've seen it happen many times in my dd. Also, the bus is part of the school system, so it should be governed by the same rules as the school. Is it not funded by the school district? (I may be a little ignorant on THAT aspect, since my dd is in a private school, which we transport her to/from.)

7. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

If choking is the only thing they are worried about, maybe give her one of those small juices for the ride home. I don't know about your dd but Trey will drink them better not cold.

8. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

I would treat it as if she were still at school. Have a mini-kit (snacks, glucose, little juice box, etc) with the driver available to your daughter at any time she needs it along with instructions on what to do in case of an emergency. A lot can happen in 20 minutes. This was always a big issue for me when I was in school because the Lente insulin would peak right around the time I would be on the bus (I would HAVE to eat regardless of where I was) and my sister and I were the last ones off the bus. This meant at least an hour ride with swiftly dropping sugars. My mother had a discussion with the school and was told that since I was on "school" property, the driver had no choice but to let me eat whenever I needed to treat a low.

I'm glad that you were able to get it figured out so she can have her snack.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

We had the exact same issue last year when Cameron was first dx'd. Our school has been fantastic with Cameron's care, however the transportation department was another story.... I wanted him to have the option of eating or drinking something if he was low. They flat out refused to allow it. I tried to explain to the superintendent of transportation that it wasn't as though he was going to be sitting there eating a Big Mac - it was just in case of emergency. Their position was that if he could eat or drink something, then the rest of the bus would want to. I told them that this was medically necessary and if they could not allow him to do this, they would have to make other arrangements to get him back and forth to school, i.e. a private bus. How quickly they changed their minds!;)

The way I see it, they have two options -- to either allow your daughter to eat her snack on the bus, or hold up the bus while your daughter eats her snack inside the school.

ETA: Cam always carries a small pencil box in his backpack with supplies (juice, tabs, gel, crackers) in case he's feeling low.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  10. vallecito93

Yes our bus system is part of our school district. I should of talked to the teacher about it too. DD brings her "sugar bag" back and forth with her to and from school. We have a GlucPen in there for those emergancies and I always pack an extra snack for the ride home, but I like the idea of a juice box and the cake gel. There is so much to learn. I forget the simpliest things sometimes.

11. BlessedIAm

BlessedIAm Approved members

I don't have any new advice to add but did want to give you some more support (you can never have enough ;)) and say that even if the bus ride is only 20 minutes her sugar can change dramatically in that time. I've seen it happen with my DH and my DS several times. (((HUGS)))

12. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Her endo needs to sign a paper from the school, usually a 504 plan? Saying that she is required to have snacks AND an emergency glucagon kit, glucose tabs on the bus. Thats standard where we live. If the bus driver fails to follow procedure, they are fired. Luckily we have never needed the bus system though, but there are diabetics who do use it.