- advertisement -

Burning when I bolus her..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Carseatmama, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

Kadie had her inset changed today and when I bolus her she started screaming that it stung. Should I change it again?

2. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

When we first started with the inf sets on his stomach my son complained about an itching/burning sensation. The problem we had was that it was poking into his muscle. When we moved to a fattier location the feeling went away.

3. HockeyAndSoccerMomof4

HockeyAndSoccerMomof4 Approved members

Check and see what the delivery speed is and put it on slow. That might help.

4. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Was it the first bolus after the change? Sometimes Ava's first bolus stings, but then it's fine. If the second one also stings, I'd change it out.

5. Toni

Toni Banned

Are you on an Animus pump? There was a way to change the speed of the bolus on the 2020. I would call pump support. Minimed is plenty slow......

6. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

From our experience:

1) Stinging *can* mean a bad site but doesn't have to (I know, not very helpful :rolleyes:)

2) First bolus after site change often stings a little as the new site is still tender.

3) Continued stinging, or stinging in between boluses, is usually not a good sign for us..we always end up having to change the site (case in point, there was blood in the cannula today after we did a site change because of stinging).

4). Definitely set delivery speed from NRML to SLOW (go to settings and page through the screens..you will see it).

5) Sometimes big boluses sting. What really helps Mia is to spread the bolus over 6 minutes which makes for a sloooooow delivery. To do this, enter the bolus as a COMBO bolus with 0/100% over 0.1 hr. The entire bolus will slowly deliver over the next 6 minutes.

6) When in doubt..change it out :rolleyes:;). If unsure of the site and BGs are wacky, it might be best to just change it out...

GL!

7. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

My son experienced the stinging every once in a while with his Ping/inset30s. The wonderful folks here suggested the delivery speed setting and, after making that change, he's not felt the stinging ever again.

Way to go, CWDers! Thanks for the great advice!
    Eileen

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

We get this sometimes - using a different set than you though. I set the pump to do a combo bolus - 100% of the bolus and for ".1" of an hour - which is 6 minutes. So the bolus goes in slowly. I do that sometimes for the bigger boluses.

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I find insulin stings 99% of the time, which is why I never do less then a 15 minute bolus! Even for a correction. Still stings, but with less insulin, less sting.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We find that the first bolus after a set change (especially if it's more than 1U) causes stinging. Also, if it's an ongoing problem, you can always change delivery speed. Animas is pre-set at normal, you can go in and change to slow.

11. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I agree with all of the above -- but if her boluses usually don't sting, and this one wasn't abnormally big, and the next one stings too, then I'd think the mostly likely is that you're grazing a muscle. For us, that means it's not going to be a happy site.

12. JenniferM

JenniferM Approved members

We also find that if we did not warm the insulin up a bit before changing the cartridge that DS is more likely to feel it sting.

Jennifer