- advertisement -

Bruises??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by phaunt, Jun 30, 2009.

1. phaunt

phaunt Approved members

I wonder if we're doing something wrong that Lilly so often bruises from her insulin injections? We're using the inject ease and there's usually 1-2 bruises on her body from past injections.

Is there something we can do to make it not bruise?

I really hate seeing her poor little tummy/arms with bruises, reminds me daily of how much diabetes sucks. :(

2. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

Kylee bruises a lot too. We use syringes and pen needles, and both do it to her. She has a really nasty one on her stomach right now and one or two on her arms. I honestly cant remember the last time she didnt have a bruise somewhere. In her school picture last year you could really clearly see one on her arm. To other people it looks like a shadow, but I know what it was. The one place that never seems to bruise is her legs, but no matter what we do, she gets bruises everywhere else.

3. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I always found that leaving the needle in a few seconds longer after injecting instead of pulling it straight out, helped to lessen bruising a little.

4. Sorcha

Sorcha Approved members

Back when we were on MDI, I found that chilling the area where we were going to inject would help to minimize bruising - we used an ice pack, just like you would for icing an injury. It doesn't take long, just enough to get the skin cold without causing discomfort. You chill first, then inject. The added advantage (at least in my son's case) was that it lessened the sting from the needle. HTH!

5. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

Ethan always has a few small bruises on his body from injections. I think it just depends on whether or not you hit a small blood vessel or capillary when the injection is done. I haven't tried icing first, maybe we'll see if that helps.

6. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

Aiden has several bruises on his belly now. Sometimes they are worse than others and we don't always rotate as we should either, so I always figure that is part of our problem. I hate seeing them and I always wonder what people think if they see these little bruises on his belly or arms :(

7. phaunt

phaunt Approved members

thanks everyone, I'll try icing..

8. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I bruise more with Lantus.. not sure why. And yeah, it sucks during the summer :( Not that I really have a bikini ready body anyways, but it would be nice NOT to be so conscious of covering up.