- advertisement -

brothers and sisters???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by floridagirl, Nov 2, 2010.

1. floridagirl

floridagirl Approved members

Hi,
    I am new here and new to the world of diabetes (I have posted on the introdution section) but I just wanted to see how common it is for brothers and sisters to get diabetes type 1, or if this is rare?
    My daughter is 7 and has had it now for 3 and a half months but I also have a 4 year old son, he is totally fine at the moment but wondered what the chances of him also becoming Diabetic was :confused:

Thank you xxx

2. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

My first cousin has two siblings that never got Type One.

My mother in law has a sister with type one, and none of her 8 siblings got it.

Though, my daughter got it, and one of the other siblings grandchild got it.

3. SunnyReid

SunnyReid Approved members

From what i have been told the chances are minutely greater than non diabetic families...but on the other hand I have heard of families with 3 kids with diabetes. Our family has NO family history of it, though we now routinly test everyone once a month before breakfast, just to keep and eye on it. It is also a good practice to get into so your child knows that you know what those horrible fingerpricks feels like. I personally spend all day complaining about how my finger hurts all day and this makes me DD feel more brave for doing it.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I believe the statistics say that a sibling of a child with type 1 has a 6% chance of getting type 1 compared with the 1-2% for the general population. I may be wrong though so hope someone corrects me if I am:cwds:

5. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Hmm... Becky I'm not saying you're wrong, but I heard it's a 20% chance. Or maybe that was for something else - like how much of your brain you lose daily from lack of sleep. :)

It's a big scare for many parents and one that came true for me. However, I would say to try not to worry. We tested Travis (our second child with D) at Kylie's D and he was fine. It was 9 months later before we saw the meter saying HI to us. :( Other people see a second dx right on the heels of the first .... or years later. What I'm saying is that we just don't know and to try to not let it worry you because it will only stress you out.

And, as a mom of 2 CWD, I KNOW you can face it no matter what comes down the road.

6. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

I don't know what the statistics are, but I can tell you that EVERY parent worries about another child being diagnosed.

Personally, I've had my son's bloodwork done once, and we've poked his finger at home a couple of times. Every time the poor kid starts going to the bathroom a little more frequently or seems extra thirsty, we worry. I don't know when or if I'll ever stop worrying that he could have D, too.

The best thing we can do is try to stay calm... after all, if we had the power to stop it, our first child wouldn't have it either, right?

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

I heard the same thing Becky stated, that the chances are about 5% greater than the general population if you have a sibling w type 1. A doctor told us that even if you have an identical twin, and one has it, the other twin only has a 33% chance greater than the general population of getting it! I thought that was an amazing statistic.

8. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I heard 4% greater than the general population if you have a sibling. I have 3 girls, 2 are diabetic. So for me, 4% is not great! Zoe was diagnosed 8 years, 2 months and 24 days after Morgan. (Morgan was diagnosed one month to the day before Zoe was born). I was shocked because I thought siblings usually got D earlier than the first dx. (Not true). After Zoe passed 4, I somehow thought we were out of the woods. If you're concerned, I recommend getting tested through Trial Net. At least you'll know if he has the antibodies. there is some amazing research happening with delaying the onset. I WISH I had tested zoe the year before. I could have had the opportunity to be in the research study and clinical trials. That is my one big regret. I can't change that now.

9. skimom

skimom Approved members

I too heard the same thing as Becky.
    I chose, on the advice of our endo not to have my third child tested ( after #1 and #2 were diagnosed) as we don't want to live under a dark cloud...if she gets it she gets it - we can't avoid it and know what to look for.

10. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

I dont really know what the percentages/statistics are. I have 2 children with D, diagnosed 51 days apart. Shortly, after that my daughter was also DXd with celiac. I asked the CDE about the chances of my son getting that as well. she said it was more chance he would end up with a thryoid problem than celiac.

We have a lot of autoimmune issues, particularily on my Mom's side of the family, some diabetes in older relatives, lots of thryoid, my mom has lupus. I have a thyroid problem. I never worried about autoimmune issues so much for my kids, guess I was being niave. I just pray they don't have to worry about anything else. Enough already. I will pray for your children too.

Do you have a lot of autoimmune in any of your families?

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Depending on various factors, the risk for each sibling to be diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, ever, is in the range of 2%- 18% (except identical twins, and assuming that rates of diabetes don't go way up or down in the next twenty years).
    So the risk with a sibling is at least 10x what it is without a sibling, but still, the most likely thing is that the sibling will never get diabetes.

12. floridagirl

floridagirl Approved members

thanks guys,
    I hope my little does not get it because meal times are bad enough with him :rolleyes:
    I found out I had an under active thyroid 8 years ago and within the next 2 years my dad and my sister found out they had it too. So I wondered if diabetes was the same xxx