- advertisement -

Broken pin on navigator - is it the end?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by selketine, Jun 19, 2011.

1. selketine

selketine Approved members

Anyone have experience using the navigator after the pin broke off the transmitter? I noticed the pin was broken off of ours last night when I went to put on a new sensor. It seemed fine today but stopped giving readings and went to an hourglass while at the pool this afternoon and hasn't come bacj to giving readings yet after 2 hours.

I'm just wondering if this is the end for it finally. We go swimming every day in the summer so if he can't get it in the water no sense wearing it. :(

2. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

hoping it i sn't the end for you and NAV

I wish I had advise for you on this but I feel your pain. I remember worrying about the end of NAV with such fear and trepidation.

Recently we have been having issues with DEX but, for almost a year it has been relatively good. The range is the very worst part of it. I used to be able to use NAV almost anywhere, within a 4500 square foot home and get a reading on him! With dex, we have never gotten better than a few feet away and lately it is out of range even when just inches away from him.

We are working that out and so that will, hopefully, be a thing of the past soon. I just want to let you know, if you are done with NAV, don't worry, DEX will become your new but different security blanket! :)

I still hope it isn't the end, I know how you feel!

3. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Do you mean the clear plastic pin that guides the transmitter into the set? We lost ours about two months ago and it is still working fine. We put a bit of tape over the "gap" anyway to stop it falling off.

4. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

You should still be able to use it without the pin, but you can't trust it like you did before. That pin keeps the sensor from shifting around, so it may very well be a big problem with swimming unless you put a lot of extra tape over it. Happened to daughter and son several times. I agree with the other poster, the dread of losing the Navigator was crazy. The range is really the only thing that we miss. Everything else we like much better with the Dex.

5. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

This can be the transmitter dying, especially with an older Dex. We have one that's 2.5 years old that still works, but others have mentioned the out of range problem when their Dex hit about 1 year. It always turned out to be their transmitters.

6. selketine

Thanks to everyone for their posts. It is the alignment pin in the transmitter that broke off. I was able to tape it up and restart it but I'm still not sure how well it will hold up in the pool - there is nothing to hold in the actual sensor piece except the tape over it.

I can tell you one thing though - after a year and a half of knowing that Abbott can't replace anything - it will be a pleasure at some point to move to a system that actually has replacements for broken parts. If the stupid Nav didn't work so well for him!

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Sorry about that Carol. I will say after using Dexcom since May 2009 we have never had to have a replacement part! Which is very different than the experience on Navigator.

8. lightnng

lightnng Approved members

Mine just broke, too.

Luckily it is still under warranty (2 weeks before expiration! phew!) so I called the folks in Israel and they are sending a new unit to my folks' house, who will in turn intl-express it here, and I will then intl-express my broken unit back to them, who will then return it to Abbott Israel. Kinds stupid when you consider that the damn device is coming out of Alameda, CA, 15 miles from my house.

In the meantime, i am doing what you are, which is securing the transmitter with extra tape. Seems to be working fine.

9. selketine

I forgot to post back and tell you what a clever idea. Seems obvious but I have never seen anyone mention doing that!

Glad you can get a new one. You think Abbott wouldn't have replaced it if it was outside the warranty?

I have to email you.

10. zatff

zatff Approved members

Spare transmitter for Navigator and back up meters

I found an extra transmitter for a Navigator along with several back up meters for Navigator since they use the old style Freestyle test strips.

I switched to Dexcom and don't anticipate going back to Navigator.

11. Melissata

Can you change the settings from mmo/l to mg/dl on your unit? Did you need a script in order to buy it in Isreal? My son may need to try to get one from Germany so any tips would be appreciated.

12. lightnng

lightnng Approved members

I can't find a way to change the setting, but Israeli units are in mg/dl so this issue did not arise for me.

EDIT: oh, and no, you do not need a scrip to buy one in Israel. Just loads of cash.

13. selketine

I think I read recently on the yahoo cgms group that in Germany you need to have a script and pay for it with funds drawn on a German bank. They were talking about the new MM enlite I think so maybe it is just a MM thing - not sure.

The group is here: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms/ Worth joining I think.

14. Melissata

Thanks for the info. I really just wish that he would get a Dexcom. Abbott offered him another buy out and strips for 90 days. They did tell him that he could wait, but of course no idea of how long that wait could be. He thought that was something different, but I know that people were told that a year or more ago. He was also wondering if he could get one in Japan, but if he needs a script and needs to see a doc there, it would be tough with the language barrier. He is probably not going back to Germany this year, so it would be tough if they need a script and money from bank there. The person from Abbott told him that it was available in other countries, which he thought was really strange for her to say. He didn't ask that, she offered it. I think that they likely only have one person left there, sigh.