- advertisement -

Breast feeding mama's..I hav a ?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Carseatmama, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

I am nursing my 5 month old baby boy....CONSTANTLY! Should I start him on solids soon? He is 16-17 lbs...to me he is a big baby..much bigger than my girls were at this age.

2. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

my thought is he is going through a growth spurt. The AAP recommends waiting until six months, I believe. You also want to make sure he can sit up well and doesn't push the food back out at you with his tongue, as part of the reason to feed is for them to practice swallowing a bolus of food. If he isn't able to work it back and swallow it, he isn't ready. The reason to wait until six months is both for developmental and food allergy prevention reasons.

3. giddyup_go

giddyup_go Approved members

I agree with Barb... growth spurt and it's best to hold off for food allergy reasons. Also--boy babies generally are much bigger than girl babies of the same age.

4. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

You are an awesome Mom! My experience with my four children who are all grown (except one who is 13), is I breast fed them on demand and let them wean themselves. The two boys would not take a bottle, went straight to the cup. I nursed for some time, depending on the child from at least over one year and on up...... It is a sacrifice of time to breast feed your child, because only you can do it. I loved it and so did my kids.

I would say do it as long as you both enjoy it. The kids turn out the same either way. Sure breast milk is so healthy for them- but your child did get it, and formula or other foods will not hurt them as long as they like it and it agrees with them. Bottom line: Do what you and your child are both very happy with!

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Perpetual feeders are tough. Does he sleep at night? Is he thirsty and would some water help?

Please forgive me for this note, I'm sure you're keeping it in mind since you've seen two diagnoses, but Selah (who was much older and smaller at the time, so totally different scenario) went to nursing every hour, day and night, before diagnosis, so of course you may want to put a cotton ball in his diaper and rule out sugar in the urine if the nursing is really off the page, just to be certain.

It could be something like teething, too -- sometimes the pressure is relieved, I think, from the action of nursing. Also, kids with reflux sometimes eat perpetually because it soothes their throat, washes the acid back down temporarily. But those are unlikely scenarios, of course, lots of nursing is normal for growing babies.

I'm sure this is just a healthy kid with a growth spurt. We were told cereals were o.k. at 5 months, I believe. My nephew was an insatiable eater, doubling your body weight every however many months is hard work!

6. Carseatmama

:)Thanks for all the advice, I think I will wait a little while longer to start food. I did nurse my last baby til she was 2 1/2, but it has been so long I've forgotten things. She is almost 9, I'm a little rusty. As for him having type 1...that has been on my mind since day one. He will be tested by Trial Net when he turns one to see if he has the antbodies. Thanks again:cwds:

7. Carseatmama

I forgot to mention he does sleep through the night...from about 10 to 5 am. nurses then goes back to sleep until 8 or 9. During the day he nurses every hour to hour and a half. He does spit up alot.

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I would try a bottle of water and see if that helps. Sometimes it's just thirst, sometimes it's the need for sucking on something, like when they're starting to teeth.

If it continues, I would just supplement with one bottle during the day. Some babies just need a lot of milk.

TMI question - Do you have enough milk yourself?

9. lynn

lynn Approved members

I always found that if I watched my kids I would know when they were ready for solids. Does he watch the rest of the family eat and "beg" for food? That seemed to be the biggie for my kids to show me that they were ready. They started solids around five to seven months. (Except Nathan, who went from nursing to eating regular food at around a year because he refused anything else.)

10. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Sounds like a growing kid all right! :D I agree that each kid is different on when he or she is ready for solids or needs supplements. We don't have a lot of food intolerances so I didn't worry as much as I maybe should have about introducing too early, but I think if you nurse him through the growth spurt and you still want to introduce solids it would be fine.

One of my kids was diagnosed with possible reflux as a baby, she nursed to "wash it down" I think, when I cut wheat and gluten out of my own diet she felt better. No celiac or wheat problems now. Just one of those things.

11. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

How's your milk supply? When my cycles return, I notice a considerable dip in my milk supply at certain times of the month. I take a calcium/magnesium supplement and it helps a lot. PM me if you think you may have the same issue.

Otherwise, I say he's probably just growing. Babies go through growth spurts and nurse more until your milk supply catches up with their needs. Remember, your body should be able to supply whatever milk he needs, whether he's 12 or 18 or 25 pounds. From what I've read, solid foods before 12 months are really just for practice, because they get all their needed nutrients from breastmilk. In fact, breastmilk is more calorie dense than most solid foods, so if you're worried about him not getting enough, it'd be better to nurse more (assuming there's no supply issue) than to introduce solid foods.

12. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Whenever mine started nursing alot I would realize that my supply was off. I either needed to drink more water or my diet would be too lean.

13. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

This is extremely important, please wait to wean him to solids. Don't give in to pressure, if someone is being so bold as to try to give you advice that goes against your gutt. Listen to your gutt, your body knows what the baby needs - its been making it since he was conceived. :)

14. minniem

minniem Approved members

I have noticed with my own kids that they nursed CONSTANTLY when they were going through a growth spurt and trying to increase my milk supply. Remember it's all supply and demand, so the more they nurse the more milk you make. I waited until 6 months to start on solids for my own kids.

Sometimes too, I think babies go through more "needy" phases where they just want mama a lot. Remember, nursing is more than just food it's also extremely comforting for the baby.

Good luck with whatever you decide!:)

15. Carseatmama

Update

He has slowed down on nursing...must have been a growth spurt. :rolleyes:Hope we don't have too many more of those...lol. I'm still holding out on solids...although he does show interest..he watches me like a hawk when I'm eating..it's so cute the faces he makes. And he tries to meemic chewing motions. Believe it or not I have been through this before, nursed my 8 year old til she was 2 1/2, but it's been so long I have forgotten how all this works. Thanks for all the advice:)

16. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

glad to hear things got better. I love the book called "the womanly art of breastfeeding". It is fabulous and I bet your library has a copy. Happy nursing!