- advertisement -

Breakfast with Lilly

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by phaunt, Mar 25, 2009.

1. phaunt

phaunt Approved members

(forgive the links and extra explanation, pulled this off my blog where much of my family reads so needed to explain some things for them.. I just wanted to share the pics here )

Since her diagnosis, Lilly has been fully aware of what is going on and involved in her care. Just days after we got home from the hospital she was wanting to test herself (she does it all herself now), and has asked about giving her own shots. She had done it a few times, but holding the syringe and injecting it without wiggling around was hard for her to do, so up until a few weeks ago we did most of them for her.

When we met with Lilly's endocrinologist at the beginning of the month we got an Inject-Ease, which makes it MUCH easier for her to do her own shots, so now she does them entirely on her own.

Keep in mind she is only 5 years old (6 in May). I sometimes forget that it's not normal for a 5 year old to be so in control and on top of things, and I really take for granted that we don?t have to struggle with her (at least now) to do any of the things required of her with her diabetes. She wants to be involved, making decisions, helping out, and learning.

She has asked about drawing up her own insulin but I told her that I didn?t think she could do it, since it requires a bit of dexterity on pulling the syringe to the small amounts she takes (usually 1/2 to 4 units or so). She kept asking, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to let her try. Low and behold, after a few bent syringes and a bit of help, she is now successfully drawing up her own insulin! We of course have to supervise and check the dose, but she does an amazing job, even holding the insulin bottle still so that the needle doesn't bend.

I've given her the job of doing her Lantus shot (morning and evening, long acting insulin), and we do the Novalog (short acting, taken after eating), but we?ll see how long that lasts, as she asks at every shot to draw up the insulin.

For breakfast on Tuesday she was proud of herself, and I wanted to snap some shots to show how amazing she is.

[​IMG]
    Inserting the syringe..
    [​IMG]
    Checking the dose and looking for air bubbles..
    [​IMG]
    (see the Inject Ease).. Pinch and press the button..
    [​IMG]
    Inject..
    [​IMG]

Proud Girl.. Love the morning hair!
    [​IMG]
    TFL!

2. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Those pictures made me cry because she looked so like my Morgan doing her shots when she was little. I forgot how unnatural it looks to see a sweet little girl pushing a needle into her skin. You're an amazing photographer, thank you for sharing those.

3. CButler

CButler Approved members

Thanks for sharing this.
    I will show this to my 6 year old.

4. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Amazing! Its bittersweet that our little ones are handling with such aplomb and grace such a huge responsibility. Your DD is adorable. Great job Mom and Lilly. (And beautiful photography, btw!)

5. XMumofType1aged8X

XMumofType1aged8X Approved members

What an amazing & gorgeous little girl ;) Thankyou for sharing x

6. phaunt

phaunt Approved members

Thanks everyone! Lilly loves seeing pics of other kids doing their diabetes related stuff, so if you have any I'd love to see them and show her! :)

7. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

What great pictures!!! I love the last one, my Lilly noticed her princess pjs and said "I want those!" I wished you lived near me so I could hire you to take my kids portaits!!!!!

Thank you for sharing!!!

8. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

You are a beautiful photographer.

The pictures are amazing, and her smile is just priceless.

Lilly you are amazing!!

9. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Wonderful pictures! Thanks so much for sharing. Andy will be 5 in June and I've wondered if he'll be able to do some of the care himself over the next year or so - this makes me think definitely (if he's interested)!

10. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

I am going to show Erik these beautiful pictures. How brave our kids are.

11. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Way to go Lilly! I showed Connor the photos. You are so talented!

12. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

In your little avatar pic of Lilly, soe looks so much older than 5, but that last picture of her smiling and proud as can be, I can see the proud 5 year old in her...
    These pics are GREAT!