- advertisement -

Breakfast suggestions for ds

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dedle, Sep 17, 2012.

1. dedle

dedle New Member

I have a 6 yr. old son who just started all day every day kindergarten this fall. Everything has been an adjustment for our whole family. We seem to be adjusting. The only large bump in the road is breakfast. Sometimes he is very difficult to get some sort of breakfast in him. He has a pump and does very well. The school is excellent with him and checking his blood sugar. But when he is being very stubborn and it's 5 min before the bus comes I don't know what to do. I hate to send him with no breakfast. Anyone have any suggestions on what works for you. I appreciate any suggestions anyone would have!!! :confused:

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

This might sound bad, but for some kids, all it takes is going to school with no breakfast one or two times...they'll get really willing to eat after that. I don't know if I'd do that with a 6 year old, though....just a thought.

The other suggestion is to get him up earlier. If you are only having 5 minutes for breakfast, that's not enough time. (I try to have breakfast on the table a full 20-30 min before the bus comes and we all eat together.) If it's a matter of him being slow to get ready, maybe a sticker chart will help him speed up. Or feed him before getting dressed. It's an adjustment for him too...maybe he's still a little stressed about going to school, which I think should fade as time goes on.

The other thought that I had is that not everyone is a breakfast person. They probably won't let him eat on the bus, but if you just give him something small before he goes to school he might be okay. Do they have snacks at school, or could he maybe have a little something to eat at morning recess? I'm not sure how flexible his teacher will be able to be.

Good luck!

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My daughter has never been a breakfast eater. But we have a rule she has to have something. Usually it's a glass of milk. Sometimes yoghurt tube, chewy granola bar, banana, something or she's stays till she does. She hates being late so when she was younger she would eat something. Now she just knows she has to have something and she doesn't complain. She's in high school and they have a break around 10 AM. I put extra snacks in her lunch so she'll have an apple or peanut butter or something like that then.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

There is no rule that says he has to eat breakfast. He probably has a snack during the morning. He will probably be hungry then.

5. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

In a pinch I will do a frozen waffle wrapped around a turkey sausage. I couldn't stomach it but they seem to and I feel better that they ate something. :cwds:

6. dedle

dedle New Member

Thanks for the replies. I should clear a few things up. I do get him up at 6:30 and the bus comes at 7:30. I get him up and let him watch cartoons and wake up a bit, then at least by 7 we are getting serious with the breakfast ideas. Unfortunately it depends on who gets up, Jekyll or Hyde! :) He has gone to school twice with no breakfast to speak of. It's just that it's a lot more responsibility for the teacher and stress for me. I am just glad to know I'm not the only one out there with a problem. He doesn't eat lunch until 11:20 & trying to simplify life for the staff at school. Just a frustrated mom trying to help my son and I find our way.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just make him a smoothie and stick a straw in it and let him have it on the way to the bus - milk, and banana, strawberries, or a bit of choc syrup. Just call it a milk shake :cwds:

8. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Maybe wake him up with some cuddle time, play time or a story book? Set a timer for 10 minutes and tell him when the timer goes off, it's time to eat. Then breakfast followed by TV if there's time? This makes TV a privilege for getting responsibilities finished in a timely manner.