- advertisement -

Brand New Type 1 Diagnosis. When To Return to School

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by wearingtaci, Nov 9, 2012.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Our 10 year old daughter was diagnosed late at night on 11/6,and discharged in the evening of 11/8. I know before she goes back to school we need to do a 504,but what else should we expect to do first? Her blood glucose is still all over the map,do we need to have it controlled some first? Her endo is still adjusting her insulin levels
    There is no nurse at the school and right now I'm not sure what training,if any,the school staff has for type 1. If they haven't had a lot of training would it be reasonable to ask for that first? Who is responsible for training them?

2. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed on a Saturday (early AM in the ER) and was released on Monday afternoon. I can't remember if we met with the teacher and nurse on Tuesday or Wednesday, but she did a 1/2 day on Thursday and Friday that week. I went to school those first few lunches, but she quickly decided I didn't need to be there. So she was back to school pretty quickly.

That being said, we have a wonderful school nurse and there are 4 other T1's in the district so the school is familiar with dealing with it. I would start with calling the school and getting a meeting set up.

3. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We kept Olivia home for the week after she was discharged from picu. We were all exhausted and Olivia's eyes were blurry as her sugar came into range. In that time I set up an appointment with the school nurse. We went over all of my questions and concerns. Here is a list of questions we asked and you may want to consider:

-How do you want her day to go
    -Where do you want her to check her blood sugar
    -What do you want the procedures to be when she does check her blood sugar
    -If you aren't going to be there at snack or lunch, what should they do?
    -Do you want them to call you?
    -Do you want to have a sheet with ranges and what to do and how much insulin to give? -I'd ask that your daughter's teacher be given a brief training on diabetes, and glucagon training...hypoglycemia/hyperglycemia....her low symptoms, high.... just an overall training.
    -Get her schedule in detail so you know where she is always and at what times.
    -If you want her to take her meter and sugar sources with her to PE or when she leaves the room...make that clear. Teachers need to know too...

We provided a small container of D supplies for the nurse's office, classroom and PE teacher.

Some people have 504's others don't....some feel it's more suited for older students with diabetes. We didn't set one up as her school followed our requests without a fuss. Olivia was at public school for 1 school yr post dx. She has since moved to a private school, but when and if she goes back to a public school I will setup a 504.

You can find school and diabetes info on CWD, including sample 504 plans here

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son went back to school the Monday after he was released. Sugars are different at school than at home and we needed to learn the school patterns.

5. wearingtaci

I guess I'm being over protective. I just worry,she was "sick"for so long before being dx'd I feel like I need to protect her completely and I do t want anything to go wrong

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I was a college sophomore at diagnosis, but I was 17 and in DKA, so I was at a children's hospital, and they had a form for me to give to any school people (the form assumed I was in a grade school but the college accepted it because all they wanted was proof of diagnosis). I was hospitalized on Friday 9/1/06, discharged in the evening on 9/5/06, and started the first day of classes on 9/6/06. I first went to the office of students with disabilities and handed in the form; I also visited all of my professors. The hospital was only about two blocks away, which made me feel a bit safer, but the fact that there was nobody learning how to use a glucagon did not.

I needed special accommodations for a few months because the lens in my eyes had warped due to months or years of high blood sugar, and on the morning of 9/3/06, in the hospital, I woke up, put my glasses on, and saw a big blur. So I needed low vision accommodations- sat in the front row, got the professor's lecture notes because I still couldn't really see the board, etc.
    My vision stabilized after about two months, and I got new glasses.

Ironically, it was one of only two quarters in college where I got straight As, and the other quarter in which I got straight As was the only other quarter in which I was hospitalized (had my gallbladder out that time).

7. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

YES get a 504 written as soon as possible - if not right away have a diabetes health plan ready to take to the school when she goes back so they have a quick reference of what to do when -
    Our school does not have a full time nurse - the school secretaries handle the nurse duties. Since Dx the school has a nurse 6 hours a week :rolleyes:
    Contact the school and find out who handles the disbursement of medicines during the day at school.
    I did the training at school - I trained the sectretary and his homeroom teacher at the time and am available via phone, text, or email at all times along with my husband. There are also a couple para's in the school that also know what to do if the secretary is out of the building or busy with something else. One of the para's is a retired RN and other's husband is also a T1D. The high school sec is also familiar with what to do as she is an EMT and works with the 2 high school T1D during the day.
    I made copies of the T1D binder that our endo gave us that explained highs and lows and how to treat them along with the signs to watch for and went over that with them and how to run the meters and when to do checks and what to do if over 240 (check for ketones) and what to do when under 70

8. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh was 11 at DX. She was DX on a Tuesday and went back to school on Friday I believe. I know she went back before the weekend. It might have even been Thursday. Our school does have a school nurse though. I never heard of a 504 plan until several months after her dx. So she didn't have one in place until the next school year. For the first year we just had the doctor's orders in place.

Ashleigh's numbers ran in the 200-300 range for about 2wks following diagnosis.

9. wearingtaci

The meeting wasn't good at all. We have no school nurse so everything is handled by the principal,secretary or whoever is in the office.
    The principal was being very demanding and telling us what we would do to try to keep her safe. Like having to send lunch daily and trying to tell us we have to limit her carbs,she also didn't understand correction factor
    The bottomlime is dd isn't in school yet because someone else through the school needs to be consulted by the principal and hopefully they can explain it to her,because we weren't getting through

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  10. Deal

Deal Approved members

Ask your endo if they know of anyone that helps educate schools. You shouldn't have to go it alone and even if the endo's office won't help directly they probably know of an organization that does. Maybe the ADA.

11. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

DO NOT let the school talk into anything you are not comfortable with - our principal tried telling me I need to pack a lunch for our son too but someone would still have to watch and see what he actually ate so his insulin would be dosed correctly. Our Endo's office gave us a letter stating we had control over making changes to his insulin ratio's and say in what went on with is diabetes management. Your Endo's office should also be able to help you or the social service worker in their office help explain things to the school.

If you are already having troulbes with the school get a 504 inplace and hold the school accountable for everything. If you are in a private school that receives no federal funding I am not sure what to tell you to do.
    Stand your ground and do what is best for your child and if you have to, which in my case, contact someone that has dealt with this kind of situation before
    our school doesn't have a fulltime nurse but the school has had to have the secretaries trained - there are 3 diabetics in the school, a couple paras and teachers.