- advertisement -

book suggestions for kids

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by MamaLibby, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Noel

Noel Approved members

A to Z Mysteries are good, there is a mystery book for every letter of the alphabet.

The Scholastic book wizard is an excellant tool to use for book levels.

I also agree with Jonah, non fiction is so overlooked for elementary age students. Recently did some reasearch on this subject and out of 100 kids surveyed 80% perferred non fiction and 9 out of 10 boys would rather read non fiction.

2. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Oh I forgot a series. The Carol Marsh mystery series is fun and interesting. I have read two of these and loved them both.
    Wendy

3. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

My daughter also likes the A-Z Mysteries. Horrible Harry, Bailey School kids, some of the simpler Star Wars. Basically we go to the used book store and hunt. =)

4. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

I'll have to look for some of those. and we LOVE Zoo Books :)

5. MamaLibby

Thanks for all the ideas you guys! We spent a LONG time in the library today and he went home with quite a stack :)

6. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Olivia is an avid book reader..lots of the books she has enjoyed were listed above. I think she has read almost every book by Roald Dahl. I read her James and the Giant Peach when she was 6 and she was hooked! :)

7. MamaLibby

My oldest and I are big bookworms too...Caleb not as much, but I think he'll get there :) Roald Dahl is one of Ella's favorites too.

8. Sari

Sari Approved members

I second this. They are an easy, fun read.

9. Jasmine'smummy

Jasmine'smummy Approved members

Have you tried some Michael Morpurgo books. He writes accross the age ranges so some are too hard to read alone. My 7 year old dd has read "farm boy", "cool", "Olly" and some others independently and we've read "born to run", "an elephant in the garden", "Shadow" and "why the whales came" together. My 9 year old boy also likes these books. They are great read aloud books - although I recommend reading them first as they tend to be tear jerkers!

My kids also like Roahl Dahl books and Famous Five have also been a hit.