- advertisement -

book suggestions for kids

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by MamaLibby, Mar 6, 2012.

1. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

I'm having a hard time finding books for Caleb to read that are at his level, but still hold his interest. He just turned 8 this weekend, and is reading at about a first or second grade level. He's intimidated by long books, and finds the majority of the books his sister loved at that age boring, girly, or difficult. He loves sports, mystery, animals, and action, and historical fiction (He's gone through most of the Magic Tree House series already)

Any ideas???

oh and if anyone else needs idea, I just read this article. I/My family has read nearly all of these, and love them! https://www.deseretnews.com/top/469/1/The-50-best-books-for-kids-Amelia-Lost-by-Candace-Fleming.html

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Diary of a Wimpy kid? :) My oldest was really into those at about that age (before the first movie came out). They do look like big long books, but they have boy friendly (and age appropriate) humor with relatively short chapters, and lots of cartoony illustrations.

3. valerie-k

valerie-k Approved members

big nate series.

mrs pigglewiggle series

fudge, superfudge, and henry of the ramona the pest

farmer boy-L.I. wilder

caddy woodlawn-even tho its a girl type book

hatchet series-gary paulson

box car children series

4. MamaLibby

Thanks! I forgot about Henry, Fudge, and Hatchet. He'd love those :) I use the little house series for family read-alouds at night.

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Big Nate, Super Diaper Baby, Sideways Stories from Wayside School, A-to-Z Mysteries - but those might be a little higher level.

I love Scholastic Book Wizard. Put in books he likes and it will suggest similar books. http://www.scholastic.com/bookwizard/

Also, if you use Goodreads, rate a few kid books and tag them the same, then you can get recommendations based on those books. Almost everything I read is a Goodreads recommendation and it's where I find a lot of ideas for the audio books we listen to together in the car.

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I think too many people ignore the nonfiction selection for kids.

There are a whole bunch of books by Nicola Davies about animals with sort of gross stuff that my brothers and I liked. I would guess the reading level to be around 3rd grade. We read Extreme Animals: The Toughst Creatures on Earth, What's Eating You- Parasites the Inside Story, and Just the Right Size: Why Big Animals are Big and Little Animals are Little.

My brothers at that age liked to read joke books, the corny kind.

There's a book I like that's probably a little too hard, Owen and Mzee about an orphaned hippopotamous who gets adopted (sort of) by a tortoise. True story!

The Magic Tree House series has nonfiction companion books for most of the titles. I think the nonfiction companions are a little bit more difficult to read though. But for kids who are enthusiastic about the series, the nonfiction companions can be a great lure into harder books.

7. MamaLibby

We love nonfiction over here :) Good thoughts Jonah!

8. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

I am going to recommend the Dan Gutman Series. My Wierd School, My Wierder School and forget the the new series but is 4 books in on that one. The 2nd graders at our school LOVE these books. I really enjoyed The Genuis Files and the 2nd book in that series. The baseball card adventures, some parents may object to a situation or two.
    Wendy

9. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

I survived Pearl Harbor and similiar ones
    Harry Potter
    The Box Car Children

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I have a 2nd grader. Let's see:

As Jonah mentioned, the nonfiction companions to Magic Tree House are really good.
    Magic School Bus
    The Bunnicula series (Jack loved these)
    Cam Jansen mysteries
    Encyclopedia Brown
    Captain Underpants (I know, I know. But boys LOVE them.)
    The Bad Kitty series (The original Bad Kitty is a picture book, but there are chapter books too. Not high literature, but funny.)
    Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing (reading level is above where he is, but you could read them to him)
    The Horrible Harry series
    We have a bunch of National Geographic Kids books on Snakes, Lizards, Weather, Planets, etc.

I'll add more later as I think of them.

11. Diana

Diana Approved members

Junie B Jones
    Ready Freddy
    Riot Brothers

12. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Franny K Stein (they look girly, but totally appeal to the boy humor, 2nd to early 4th grade level depending on book)
    Hank Zipzer (sporty, mysteries, boy humor, 2nd and 3rd gr reading level)
    Secrets of Droon series (2nd and very last in series approaching 3rd)
    Bailey School Kids and spin off Bailey city Monsters (runs the gamut 1st through 3rd readling level)
    Magic School Bus Chapter books - really thin, filled w/ tons of nonfiction science and a story to run alongside
    Moongobble & Me series
    Geronimo Stilton series

I can't remember the name, but I have a nonfiction series he might like. I'll pm it later. also Zoo Books magazine is fairly accessible to his reading level.

13. GreenJenny

GreenJenny Approved members

My 7 year old (girl) and nephew love geronimo stilton!! Also, Araminta Spooky by angie sage.

14. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

The Horrible History series by Terry Deary...Awesome books for kids about the history of different time periods, with the horrible yucky stuff thrown in - just the stuff that kids love!:):)

15. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

My Wierd School Daze series

Big Nate

Horrible Harry series

Judy Moody series

Stink series

Cam Jensen series

16. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Flat Stanley series (there are 2 different series and both are good)

Captain Underpants!

17. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My 9 year old loves many of the series listed here...but have you tried good old fashioned comic books? As someone else said, not high literature, but it gets them reading. My son loves The Simpsons, and they do put out a comic every now and then...and I think they do for Phineas and Ferb as well. All of my kids, even my 12 year old daughter, will read these over and over. Great for long car trips!

18. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

The Secrets of Droon.
    Goosebumps

19. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

Hank Zipzer books are very funny ... co-written by Henry Winkler

20. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Second Encyclopedia Brown. It was always fun to try to figure out how he solved the case before reading the explanation. Also, the Hardy Boys (maybe too advanced...wouldn't hurt to have him try them out), the Boxcar Children, Shiloh books, and books by Andrew Clements.
    Oh, and the Santa Paws books.