- advertisement -

Bone Marrow Transplant without immunosuppression

Discussion in 'Research' started by ResearchChick, Oct 31, 2019.

1. ResearchChick

ResearchChick New Member

(Side Note: I used to post here many years ago under a different name, but never anything overly pertinent to anything. I am using a different name as I may post a play by play of the study process if I participate, and do not want my old user name muddying the waters.)

What do you guys think about this?

https://www.scirp.org/pdf/SCD_2013012216151498.pdf

I'll give my quick layman's take on the study:
    -They inject stuff to increase stem cells.
    -They extract bone marrow from the hip.
    -They do a lil magic to separate stuff and prepare it etc.
    -They inject it back into the pancreas (all cells come from and go back to the same patient).
    -At no point do they compromise the immune system (unless your own bone marrow cells can do that on their own?)

9 out of 20 of the subjects at some point during the study had 0 units daily insulin dose for some (relatively extended) frame of time with their A1cs typically getting better or at least no worse than before they had 0 units daily insulin dose (though in honesty, it does not appear to be to "normal" A1C levels, but "quite good" diabetic A1C levels). For most however, these results seemed to die off by about the 3 year mark. The corresponding people who ended up with 0 units daily insulin dose also had corresponding increases in C-peptides... for a time. (the study is actually the easiest I've ever tried to understand what they were doing and the outcome)

I may (or may not) have the opportunity to participate in a very similar study, but do not understand how it to be possible to see the results they have published with no immunosuppression. I assume that's why it "stops working" after about 3 years. However, almost all studies I've seen using "stem cells", there is always some mucking about with the immune system (or at least encapsulation), and this study does not appear to have that element of danger which makes me wonder what makes it so special to still work without it (for some, but not all)?

Any comments appreciated.
    Also, if I am selected, let me know if you want me to post updates (would likely do it in the Adult room)

Edit to add: Felt this needed mentioning, this study was done in patients with long-standing, not newly diagnosed diabetics (which makes a huge difference for most of us). Also, it is a non-US based study... just putting that out there in case it changes opinions.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019