- advertisement -

Bolused for wrong carbs...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lamb, Nov 16, 2010.

1. lamb

lamb Approved members

Please tell me that I am not alone here. I bolused Evan for 30g this morning and then realized five minutes later that it should have been 20g. I should feel happy that I caught my mistake early and had him eat enough to make up the difference. However, I have been beating myself up about it. What mom does that to her child?! He is only 6 and it is my job to take care of him and keep him as healthy as possible. I just felt horrible about it this morning. Does this ever happen to anyone else? You know, where you feel physically ill because you made an insulin mistake? I figured if it happened to me, then hopefully (well, sorta) that it has happened to others. Please reassure me that I am still a good mommy. :(

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Heck no your not alone...It's no big deal, just give him 10 more grams :)

3. MyBoys'Mom

MyBoys'Mom Approved members

Absolutely not alone. We're all trained so much to pre-bolus so we try as much as we can. I have to laugh when my friends think I'm crazy because we had to give DS cookies after dinner because he just would not finish all of his dinner or i completely miscalculated his dinner carbs. We all live a very strange life!

4. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

simple, a mom who loves and adores their child.

Trust me, we have all been there, done that, t-shirt is so worn and faded we need a new one.

I have overbolused, underbolused, hell, not bolused at all...

I have forgotten lanus, I have tried to give lantus twice,

I have taken him places and all of a sudden, bingo, did I forget his kit? sure did. Not a meter, not a glucose tab, not a nothing anywhere in site.

It happens, we are all human. And we are all great mommies and daddies. :D

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It happens. You caught it, no harm done. :)

6. Mom2dirty

Mom2dirty Approved members

You are not alone! Been there done that and other things but I am human....so are you!

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

mistakes happen, you're not a bad mom. I've over bolused ashleigh before, but i didn't realize it until she started going low. Then re-added up her food and figured out my mistake. Just give him something extra to eat or drink.

8. sugarmummy

sugarmummy Approved members

mistakes happen.we're all human after all, it is about how we deal with them afterwards that matters. I believe it is all a learning curve...the more mistakes that are made, the more we learn about how to deal with them!!!! I'm becoming a bit of an expert now! lol Have cried, beat myself up about it, felt a bad mum etc, but when it comes down to it, if we worry about having made the mistake, it just proves we do care & are good parents.

9. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

We are all human and we are going to make mistakes, all we can do is try our best we are not pancreases after all. Like someone else said I have forgotten to give lantus or I messed up carb counts. Heck I have even forgot her kit when we have left the house and had to turn around to go back and get it. Life happens, just roll with the punches and you will be fine :D

10. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

He will make that mistake himself when he is older and you will remember and say, no big deal, I've made that mistake myself. What do you want for your ten extra carbs?

But if the question was more about anxiety... yes. As long as you remember that you really and truly did not do anything wrong, it will get better.

11. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Don't worry, it happens to everyone. I'm always glad when I catch the mistake soon after. Our worst was when we were new and my husband bolused 51 carbs for an apple instead of 15 because he looked at the calories.

12. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

You are not alone :) I once bolused for the grams of weight instead of the grams of carbs. :eek:

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

Give him a hug nd you're good.. :cwds:

14. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

I'm with all the others - cut yourself some slack. We've all done it. We too have overdosed, underdosed, forgotten to dose altogether, counted carbs wrong, given the wrong insulin... for all the work we do, round the clock and sleep deprived, it's amazing this doesn't happen more often!

15. Caleb's*mom

Caleb's*mom Approved members

We've all been there!!

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

And 10g? I can assure you that won't be the last, or the largest, mistake you make in carb counting and bolusing.:rolleyes:

Let it go ... being a pancreas is hard, mistakes happen.

17. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

That's funny :p

To the OP: You're in a great community here. Don't you just love these people? Phhth... I must've counted her breakfast really wrong this morning. She went to school and I received a call from her teacher that she was 51! Either that or her pancreas decided to give some insulin of its own. It's been happening too many times lately.

18. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Hear, hear!

19. KHM

KHM Approved members

The kinds of parents who do this:
    1. Tired (breakfast, right?)
    2. Engaged in never-ending considerations
    3. Misread a label or confused commonly used products
    4. Ones who don't even recognize the error until the bg is whack...
    4. Brain farts
    5. The kind of parent that sometimes makes mistakes with much greater impact.
    6. Every one of us at one point or another.

You're a great Mommy! You took it seriously--I hope you can let it go as easily. Its bound to happen again at some point. We think of them as bonus days: what else would you like to have to eat now?

20. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

All of us! LOL!