- advertisement -

boggled by gym

Discussion in 'Kids' started by ljappleton02, Nov 6, 2015.

1. ljappleton02

ljappleton02 New Member

Hello everyone, my 6 yr old type 1 diabetic baby girl has recently been struggling with frequent headaches and blood sugar spikes after gym class at school. She eats her am 15 carb snack a half hr. Before gym class. Has anyone ever struggled with this issue? I know spikes are common after snacks and meals but she is spiking into the 3 and 400 ranges and then coming down to a little over 200 at lunch time. Growth spurt? This never happened last year and does not happen at home..only during gym time??

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello and welcome to the forum. A few questions:

What type of insulin is your daughter using?
    Is she using a pump or shots?
    Has anything else changed since you have seen this spike?
    Is she eating a different type of food? Larger or smaller quantities?
    Is she taking insulin to cover the 15 carb snack?
    Does she pre-bolus?

I know some people report that adrenaline/activity will cause bg to rise but I have always found activity to lower my daughter's bg.

3. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

Perhaps you can try skip the uncovered carb or do a smaller 7ish carb snack? If the snack is making her spike that high, perhaps she can go without it for gym until pattern changes.

My daughter can get headaches with high BG sometimes. Drink more water might help.

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I'm also curious how long the gym class is and what sort of activities they do.

5. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

It sounds like maybe the snack is doing more harm than good. I have found that no activity my daughter does in PE class is going to have a profound effect on her blood sugar. It's active, but not THAT active. 15 grams unprotected would shoot my daughter to at least 400.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

That would be my thought as well. I highly doubt they are doing highly aerobic activity for 45 minutes. The only time I deal with uncovered snacks or lowered basal is when Emma's activity is more than 1 hour, and only then, if its highly aerobic that entire time. Otherwise, it doesn't lower her enough to matter. 45 minutes of PE class probably means about 20 minutes of real movement that would make a difference.

7. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I remember my 1st grade PE class including things like tumbling on mats, playing with the parachute, and learning stretches- not super aerobic stuff. I'm sure we did have spurts of aerobic activity. I'm pretty sure that's where I learned "What Time Is It Mr. Fox?" And the scooters! Such fond memories.